What do you think about rescueing a dog from a shelter?

I am looking for a dog to bring home for the family, but most pure breds are too expensive. I think I would rather save a dog than buy a pure bred. Any good or bad experiences with shelters? Is it a good idea?

I am looking for a dog to bring home for the family, but most pure breds are too expensive. I think I would rather save a dog than buy a pure bred. Any good or bad experiences with shelters? Is it a good idea?...
    General Dog Discussions : What do you think about rescueing a dog from a shelter?...

• What do you think about rescueing a dog from a shelter?

What do you think about rescueing a dog from a shelter? General Dog Discussions
      I am looking for a dog to bring home for the family, but most pure breds are too expensive. I think I would rather save a dog than buy a pure bred. Any good or bad experiences with shelters? Is it a good idea?

What do you think about rescueing a dog from a shelter? General Dog Discussions
    • All my dogs came from shelters. You can also check out Craigslist and petfinder classifieds in your state. There are tons of people needing to find their dog a new home for one reason or another.

• I work in a shelter, so I suppose I am biased, but I think adopting (they are safe at a shelter, so you are adopting, not rescuing) is terrific. All of my and my roommate's pets (total of 3 dogs and 6 cats) came from the shelter and all have been wonderful.If you do really want a purebreed you can find one in a shelter, too. Last week we had a German Shorthair Pointer, a Giant Schnauzer, a Cairn Terrier, two Chihuahuas, a Dachshund, a Shiba Inu, a Cane Corso and her pup, a Boerboel, a Beagle...and that's only what I'm remembering. I'm all for mixed breeds, but don't assume that is all you will see at a shelter.

• It's the most rewarding thing you will ever do. When you go to the shelter, you'll want to take all of them home (if you have a heart like me). We adopted a pup almost 2 months ago from a shelter, and I'm ready to get another! Just knowing she had no home until we came along made me so happy. I've also read (and heard from my vet) that mixed dogs have a better temperament than pure breeds because their dominant behaviors are lessened when they are mixed. There are so many dogs that need good homes.......you'll feel like you've saved a life if you adopt one.

• It's a WONDERFUL idea! Dogs from shelters are so good. Most shelters won't adopt out aggressive dogs, so you should be fine. It's an amazing experience, saving a life, and you won't be sorry. If you get a dog that was abused or neglected, they will love you so much. Good luck! =]

• Rescueing a pet is a great idea. If there is a certain breed you wanted to buy there is usually a rescue for that breed. You can do the research online for it too. Normally you just fill out an application telling them some info about you and you can pick out the one you want buy looking at the pictures. There's a little more to it than that, but like I said if you find that breed's rescue site it will give you all the information you need. Good luck!

• All of my dogs have been rescues from shelters and they have all been amazing pets. My experience is that the younger you get them, the better luck you will have (less traumatic life experiences to screw them up) but I know of people who have gotten older dogs that have been great too. The reality of dogs is that nurture outweighs nature, so if you raise a puppy right, he should be a good dog. There really is no need to pay $$$ for a 'deisgner dog' who won't love you any more than a pound dog if what you're looking for is a companion. Petfinder is a great resource. I usually just go straight to the shelter and play with the dogs until I click with one.

• It is a great idea! Your local humane society or dog warden will have great pets that need a home. I have a lab-shepherd mix from our dog warden, and he is a really intelligent, loving dog. Just make an informed decision, which a lot of shelters will help you do. Thank you for saving a life :) Enjoy your new family member!

• We have two dogs. Both are shelter dogs. One is even a pure bred Beagle. I will never buy a dog. We will always get dogs from the shelter. If your kids are younger take them with you and assess how the dog is with kids. Also, pure breds usually have more health problems than mixed dogs, thus lower vet bills.

• I've had good experiences with getting animals from shelters, they've been pretty much the way that the shelters described them when I got them. I think it's better that you are getting a shelter dog, they need homes badly.

• You should totally go for it. Make sure it is a shelter that puts dog down after a certain amount of days though because then you'll really be saving a life. There are other shelters that are no kill if you get one there your not really saving a life.

• There is nothing wrong with saving a dog from a shelter. Just make sure you get as much information as you can about the dog. I know sometimes this can be hard. Ask them how the dog is with children. Every dog is different but if you care for them and give them the love they need it will all work out in the end. I have gotten a few dogs from the shelter. They were great dogs that were treated like my kids. Yes I spoiled them like my kids. The dogs ended up thinking that they were human. It was just to cute.

• I commend you for wanting to adopt a dog. There are so many good dogs out there that people give away because they do not have the time to care for them. When visiting a shelter let them know what you are looking for. And once you find a dog that you are intrested in try to visit the dog on several occasions spend time with it. you'll know if the 2 of you click or not Good Luck

• it is such a sweet idea. My two dogs - 1 & 2 years old come form a shelter. But i adopted them when they were puppies.. i am saying this because may be you would like to adopt an adult dog. In that case, it would be very useful if yoiu could go and visit the dog with a friend that knows some things about dogs. In this way you will not end up with a dog that may had bad experiences and so may be behavioral problems (aggresiveness, fear ect). Still, i am for sure a big fan of people adopting dogs from shelters. You will gain a for ever friend. Katerina

• I did and I love her so much. She was a bit of a problem child for the first few months, considering she had already been with 2 families before the age of 6 months. I happened to luck out and got a pure bred Treeing Walker Coon hound.. For $250 cnd she was micro chipped, fixed and all of her shots were up to date.