What do you think about rescueing a dog from a shelter?

I am looking for a dog to bring home for the family, but most pure breds are too expensive. I think I would rather save a dog than buy a pure bred. Any good or bad experiences with shelters? Is it a good idea?

What do you think about rescueing a dog from a shelter?

I am looking for a dog to bring home for the family, but most pure breds are too expensive. I think I would rather save a dog than buy a pure bred. Any good or bad experiences with shelters? Is it a good idea?...
    General Dog Discussions : What do you think about rescueing a dog from a shelter?...

• My husband and I had an awful experience trying to adopt. We researched all the breeds and decided a poodle or poodle mix was the right dog for us. We watched all the local shelters and rescues. Very few poodles were available. One we visited was clearly sick, but they tried to tell us he was fine. (This was the county shelter, mind you.) We applied for a few through sites like petfinder. They want to know way, way, way too much information. I realize they are trying to find the best forever home possible, but the process was very difficult and a huge turn off for us. Then after filling out this huge form that took seriously 4 hours, we heard very little from them. We ended up calling the local poodle association and they gave us the contact information of a wonderful breeder. Our puppy was actually only a few hundred dollars more than the adoption fees. And we have the added bonus of knowing that he was bred with quality parents for quality traits and was DNA tested for the common poodle diseases. He has the best personality ever and we're picking up a sister for him this weekend. Going to a shelter isn't a bad thing, but it doesn't always work out, especially if you have a certain breed in mind. And keep in mind, as much as people like to tell you this, mixed breeds are not at any less risk for genetic disorders. Most of those disorders and dominant so a mixed breed will just end up with twice the risk. A well bred purebred should have no undue health concerns. An ethical breeder would NEVER breed a dog that was found to have those disorders and will use the DNA testing now available to try to avoid those traits as much as is possible. An ethical breeder will also only breed dogs with a good temperment, so there is a much better chance of getting a happier healthier dog from an AKC licensed breeder.

• Sometimes you can get pure bred dogs from shelters. I got my Siberian husky from the shelter and although i do not know for sure, i do not think she was mixed. Many people spend hundreds of dollars or more on a cute puppy, and then it grows up, its more responsibility than they expected,maybe it eats couches and other furniture and they abandon it, which it how many purebred dogs end up there. I got my dog the day she was going to be put to sleep at animal control and shes the sweetest dog ever, loves kids, most other dogs and doesn't eat cats, although like many dogs she does eat stuff shes not supposed to, but that's a small price to pay as far as i am concerned in comparison to the other problems i have heard of.

• I work with a shelter and have had lots of shelter experience with adoptions. A good shelter evaluates the disposition of each animal in their care before they put it up for adoption. They will be able to help you choose a pet that is suitable for children or they will be able to tell you if a pet should be in a home without children. Some animals don't like to share their environments with other animals and the shelter will also be aware of that. I've never seen a shelter animal go home with a new family that wasn't so happy to have been saved. You are doing the right thing looking in shelters. I have owned shelter animals all my life and presently have 6 of them. I would never think of buying a dog with so many wonderful animals just waiting for someone to love them. Please be sure that your new pet has been given all its vacinattions and is spayed or neutered.

• I rescued a beautiful dog about 2 years ago from our local shelter. It was the best thing my husband and I ever done. He was only supposed to weigh no more than 30 to 40 pounds but today he weighs about 80 but he is the biggest baby I have. And I have 3 dogs. I think that adoption is the best thing to do. I do not like those puppy mills and the condition they keep the puppies in. Adoption helps the pet and your community as well. I hope your experience with this is as good as mine. Additionally, when you do adopt a pet from a shelter part of the adoption fee is to have them spayed when they get old enough. So this in turns helps the population of animals. Try it, I think you will be happy with your choice.

• Saving a dog from anywhere is a good idea. I have four dogs, and only one of them is from a shelter. I got one from a barbwire fence near some train tracks (he still has scars ='( ). One was chasing cars (she'll never dance again...) And the other one had a bullet in his shoulder. There are dogs everywhere. Pick one up at the shelter, or off the road. They'll love you forever. =D

• Dave, I have never had a dog from the shelter and never plan to get one from there. My reasons are simple, and yet they will upset everyone here. Most people here are what I call humaniacs and think that getting a dog from a shelte is the greatest thing that you can ever do. I do agree, saving a life is a good experience, but not at the expense of my family. A dog from the shelter is there for a reason, what that reason is, you will never know, the original owner will not have told them, and the shelter will not tell you because they want that dog out of there. So, you adopt a dog that may and may not like your kids, may or may not have dominance issues, may or may not be agressive and on and on. Personally, I want to know that what I am getting is going to be predictable in his temperament, in his size, in his drives etc. Plus, because of work requirements, I need certain drives that are more pronounced then others and I cannot get that from a dog at the pound. I could never imagine having a dog that I know nothing about living in my house, nteracting with my kids and me NOT know anything about it's backround. I currently have 3 dogs living at home and I can tell you what their great, great grand father was doing. I can tell you how they will react under ALL circumstances, that is not something that I could do with a shelter dog. Anyway, you decide what you need to have and what you can afford and you get it. Good luck with your decision.

• My best dog (Hooche) a 90 lb male Pit Bull was from a rescue group. I had Pits before him, but will admit I had reservations about bringing home ( a slightly used) Pit Bull, but he seemed like a good guy who deserved a break. He was a smart, friendly and grateful dog for 12 years In addition to the shelter, consider breed specific rescue groups There is a link to a rescue group on this site.(PBRC) http://www.hollithesidecardog.com

• All of my dogs (since I've been adult) have been shelter dogs, and all of them have been WONDERFUL, amazing, friendly, great family dogs (I currently have two). I wouldn't trade any of my shelter dogs for any price -- and I would trust any of them with my very life (truly). If you haven't adopted a dog before, I suggest that you look for a shelter or a rescue group (there are mixed breed rescue groups and purebred rescue groups) that carefully screen the dogs and the potential adopters. Make sure that they know what you are looking for in a pet -- be honest and specific about *your* needs, worries and expectations as a potential owner. If you go to a shelter where they know nothing about the dogs and where they don't ask *you* any questions, you might want to look for another shelter or rescue group. In rescue groups and some shelter-foster situations, the dogs actually *live* with a family, so they know a LOT about the dogs; this is probably an ideal adoption option for someone who is new to dog ownership and/or to dog adoption (you will often have to fill out a fairly detailed application -- but this is for the dog's benefit as well as for your benefit). As others have suggested above, petfinder (www.petfinder.com) is a fantastic resource! Type in your zip code, and you will pull up NUMEROUS dogs in your area, at shelters and rescues, that are up for adoption. Again, make phone calls to shelters and rescue groups; if the group isn't willing or able to answer your questions, then move on to another group or shelter. By the way, it is a complete MYTH that most dogs end up in shelters because they have behavioral problems. Some do, yes (and good shelters and rescue groups will know which dogs fall under this category; most won't even allow inexperienced dog owners to adopt these pets; after all, it does the shelter NO good to send a dog home with someone, only to have it returned or dumped; they have a vested interest in making good dog/owner matches -- much moreso than your average backyard breeder!). Dogs end up in shelters for a number of reasons that have *nothing* to do with the dog -- owners move... owners don't have time for the dog... owners discover that they have allergies... owners develop an illness or financial problem... etc. (according to a recent national survey, the #1 reason dogs end up in shelters is because the owner is moving and/or because they have "landlord issues"). Speak to people who have adopted animals in your area; they, too, can give you valuable information as to their experiences with local adoption groups. Good luck to you!! I think that you'll find adoption to be a very rewarding experience. :)

• I worked in our local humane society for many years there is so many loving unwanted dogs/puppies and cats/kittens and they all deserve loving homes and make great companions. im a breeder (chinese shar-pei) but honestly i think adopting from a humane society is wonderful and promot it %100 most humane societies like the one i worked in has the animals vaccinated and vet checked,temperment tested . thse animals need loving people to adopt them and i think its wonderful you are considering a shelter !!!

• As with anything that is done there are good and bad experiences. If you want to adopt an animal from a shelter or rescue just make sure you do not pick a dog impulsively. Before you decide on a dog make sure you spend as much time as possible with the dog to be sure you feel comfortable with the dog and also realize as the dog becomes comfortable with you and it's surroundings it's behavior can change. When adopting a dog from a rescue or shelter you should realize that you have to put work into the dog because unlike another poster I will not tell you dogs are dumped mostly due to moving/landlord problems people lie because they do not want to appear lazy or uncaring. I work with a breed specific rescue and I can tell you that lots of dogs are not wanted because of behavioral problems that were caused by the owners(although they claim different reasons), that being said you should also know that ANY dog you bring into your home will have to be worked with and some dogs will need more work and time than others, but in any case any and all dogs will need training and socialization, and it does not matter where they come from.I can tell you from personal experience that some adult dogs from shelters or rescues can be a real challenge to rehabilitate. You know sometimes puppies are available in shelters and breed rescues you just have to go often and early to shelters and for the breed specific rescues most applications will ask age preference of the dog you are seeking. Good Luck!!!