can you go to jail for accidentally killing a dog?

if you accidentally poison a dog with chocolate could you go to jail? how long?what if it was a careless mistake?

if you accidentally poison a dog with chocolate could you go to jail? how long?what if it was a careless mistake?...
    General Dog Discussions : can you go to jail for accidentally killing a dog?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• can you go to jail for accidentally killing a dog?

can you go to jail for accidentally killing a dog? General Dog Discussions
      if you accidentally poison a dog with chocolate could you go to jail? how long?what if it was a careless mistake?

can you go to jail for accidentally killing a dog? General Dog Discussions
    • I doubt that you would go to jail for giving a dog chocolate, but it would take a LOT of chocolate to poison the dog to kill it on the spot like that, so that would for sure intentional. If it was an intentional act and couldn't be proven an accident, then it would depend on if their were previous accounts of animal cruelty, abuse or neglect.

• no but make sure you prove it was not on purpose or say you didnt know dogs couldnt have chocolate. i dont think you could anyway cause its rare if you give a dog chocolate once b/c each time you give them chocolate it speeds up their heart rate that is why they die from it. my friends dog has had many oreos and is still kickin. lol hes totally fine. my dogs have had chocolate like m&m's before if i accidently dropped them. so he would have had to have a lot of chocolate in order to die from it. or if his owner had given him chocolate before maybe this was the last piece he needed for his heart to go out of control.

• Everyone knows chocolate is toxic to dogs. An irresponsible owner would deserve to be punished for being so neglectful. In today's society, I would think at the very best they would get a fine. Most likely, nothing will happen unless it was someone else's dog and the person deliberately poisoned the dog and the owner wanted to press charges. Even then, I doubt the punishment would truly fit the crime. Keep in mind that thousands of dog are tortured and killed by puppy millers. There have been cases of millers "debarking" a dog with scissors and no anesthesia. In Lancaster, PA a puppy miller shot and killed almost his entire "stock" of breeding dogs who were no longer able to produce. They generally get a fine.