What type of food should I buy for my new puppy?

He is a black lab. Also any links how to get the puppies name engraved in a ID tag, that would be great. I am looking for food that is not fatty, but keeps the dog alive longer. I will vote for best answer!

He is a black lab. Also any links how to get the puppies name engraved in a ID tag, that would be great. I am looking for food that is not fatty, but keeps the dog alive longer. I will vote for best answer!...
    General Dog Discussions : What type of food should I buy for my new puppy?...

• What type of food should I buy for my new puppy?

What type of food should I buy for my new puppy? General Dog Discussions
      He is a black lab. Also any links how to get the puppies name engraved in a ID tag, that would be great. I am looking for food that is not fatty, but keeps the dog alive longer. I will vote for best answer!

What type of food should I buy for my new puppy? General Dog Discussions
    • Puppies need fat for their brains to develop properly - so saying you want a food that is not fatty and will keep your dog alive longer is an incorrect assumption. Puppies need puppy food through the first 12 months of life. After that, a good adult food is appropriate. A good puppy food contains a proper balance of fats and other nutrients for appropriate growth and development of all systems. Some examples of good puppy food choices include Nature's Variety Puppy, Blue Buffalo Puppy, Nutro Ultra Puppy, Nutro Natural Choice Puppy, (do not buy Nutro Max as it is their worst line), Wellness Puppy, Orijen Grain-Free Puppy and many other choices. Any big box pet supply will have engravable dog tags on site or you can also buy dog collars that have your pets name and phone number. One online companies that offer collars with names/phone number are:Orvis.com

• i suggest one of these: Blue Buffalo Wellness Natural Balance California Natural Chicken soup for the dog lover's soulThere are many more great foods out there, just make sure to stay away from commercial brands. make sure the first ingredient is chicken, fish, lamb, or bison, etc. and not corn or by-product meal. also, be sure to check that corn gluten isnt in the ingredients listed and that there arent a lot of preservatives, by-product meal, artificial flavors, and food coloring. makesure there is a variety of fruits and vegetables and meats/ chicken. i strongly recommend Blue Buffalo puppy food, you should be able to find it at a local petstore near you. it is sort of expensive but you get what you pay for, and it is totally worth it. also, a more expensive food brand means higher quality, which leads your dog to a longer life and less health prob., and less health prob. means less visits to the vet, which means you will save a lot of money. :)i strongly recommend you stay away from Bil-Jac, Beneful, Pedigree, and other commercial foods. but do your research and you will find the perfect food for you and your puppy :)oh yeah and make sure you feed your puppy "puppy food" until a certain age (ask your vet) and when changing a food, introduce the new food by mixing it with the old food and slowly increasing the amount of new food each day over a 1-2 week period of time.Good luck with your new puppy!! :)Try these links for dog reviews:http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/best-dog-foods/http://bluebuffalo.com/dog-food-comparison/true-blue-test <<< get a 5$ Blue Buffalo coupon