Is there a way to stop a cat from killing mice?

My partner has two cats that constantly catch mice. they usualy don't kill them, just injure them and leave them to die. We feel very bad about it and even taken one to the vet but it was too late for him.Is there any way to make them stop this…

Is there a way to stop a cat from killing mice?

My partner has two cats that constantly catch mice. they usualy don't kill them, just injure them and leave them to die. We feel very bad about it and even taken one to the vet but it was too late for him.Is there any way to make them stop this…...
    General Dog Discussions : Is there a way to stop a cat from killing mice?...

• Try a bell around its neck on its collar. It will let the mice know he is coming.

• Well, the only reason they're doing it is b/c they're spoiled. Big cats have to catch their food, but we give house cats everything they need. So, they're hunting mice b/c it's their instinct. My cats catch flying bugs, Simba(the neighbor's cat) catches mice, Milo(a neighbor's cat), Angel and Ressie(live with Simba) catch birds and mice. You shouldn't have put don't put "it is natural" or "let cats be cats", b/c it is natural.

• I am sorry but why do you want so many mice? If the cats are catching so many, you must have quite a supply. I am afraid that a cat cannot stop hunting. He is obeying an instinct as old as prehistory and a little bell won't stop him. Don't get him declawed. That's like lopping of the first joint of his fingers.http://amby.com/cat_site/declaw.htmlI think the best solution is either for you to finish off the mice quickly after the cats bring them in, or for you. Cats kept inside do not pick up parasites from prey and don't get run over by cars. they live longer. They can kill toy mice.

• I like the 'belling the cat' idea someone gave you. Just make sure it's a safety collar. Maybe even a reflective one to catch light if they are hiding in wait. You don't want to hear it, but the cats are gonna be cats (predators).....so about all you can do is give the mice a little bit of an advance warning system.It may not be for you, but some people have been known to use vegetable dyes to add color to a cats fur to give the birds and mice more chance of spotting them. Try adding a giant daisy or something pretty to the cats side. NON toxic of course. Vegetable based dies would work. There is a site called Why Paint Cats? and a book too. http://www.whypaintcats.com/The downside of either "early-warning system" would be that it gives the dogs in the neighborhood a better chance of spotting the cats as well. You would have to weigh the pros and cons of it.I will tell you that letting a cat outside even with Feline Leukemia shots isonly about 75% effective, they can still get it. If a cat is diagnosed with Feline Leukemia, they have to be kept inside to prevent infecting other cats and their immune system can be compromised. Or you could picture someone in your neighborhood asking a question similiar to yours, except it goes "How do I keep my dog from killing cats?"and realize that your cats are being put in danger the minute they walk out the door. By vehicles too. You see it as restricting the cats..I see it as "Better inside and fat....then outside and Flat."It's just something to consider.

• I hate to tell you this, Elizabeth. But it IS natural.The only way to keep the cats from killing the mice is to keep them separated. Now, a few more toys such as the mice and string will give them something besides the live mice to play with. But it won't stop the urges.

• It is only natural for a cat to want to hunt mice or birds and such. Its part of their instinct. It is also part of their instinct to want to please you. Your cat thinks its bringing you a present. I think the only way to circumvent this is to get kitty a color with a bell on it. This way when kitty goes ahuntin' the bell will scare off all of kittys targets.

• Believe it or not, cats actually have to be taught by their mothers how to stalk, hunt, kill & eat prey. Yes, it is instinctual for a cat to chase and play with a "target", but a well-fed, pet that was probably raised by another well-fed pet is not going to understand that it's supposed to kill this prey for food. Interestingly, big cats in captivity in our nation's zoos understand this very well. These cats know all about hunting for food, but since they are well fed they don't bother. That is why all the birds and mice in their vicinity are left unharmed. But that's besides the point. Your cats are just following their instincts to chase and play. Unfortunately their play is so rough, that the target is usually killed. You cannot train this out of your cat. It's like trying to train a Border Collie not to herd. What you can do as a responsible pet owner is put a collar with a bell around your cat's neck to warn all the birds and rodents of your cat's presence. And perhaps restrict their out-of-doors access. Good luck.

• i know you said not to say it but it is in a cats nature to catch and kill mice. if it wasnt meant to be, God wouldnt have put it in the cats genes to do it

• Collar them with bells. Our cat had a bad experience (while still a kitten) with our parrot and it left birds alone since then. It was just our luck that things worked out that way. Our neighbor allows her cats (6 of them) to kill off the local wild life - birds and lizards - and I`ve offered to pay for the belled collars a couple of times. Other neibours are going to trap those cats and...... just because the owner is stubborn.

• there is no way to keep a cat from killing mice. they are predators (even though they are loving pets). do not declaw the cats as a "cure all". declawing is an amputation. imagine having your fingers cut off at the first knuckle. that is what is done during a declawing. i understand your sensitivity to the plight of the mice, but consider that rodents carry disease and that they were basically put on this earth to serve as prey for many predators. putting a bell on the cats may help some, but a clever cat can stalk its prey without making a bell chime.

• Well, the first thing I was wondering about this is, are any of them Farrel or "Street cats" for lack of a better term. If they are they haven't practiced how to actually kill one in a while. If they aren't. You might want to look into getting a Farrel or "Street cat" that one can teach them how to eat the mice. That might not be good for the mice, however that would probably fix the cats just leaving them to die. The reason I know is because I've had both kinds of cats, and having a Farrel one myself, I've kind of gotten to know there behavior. And you be able to let them out and play. That's all I can think of.

• You need to decide which means more to you, the cats or the mice... because having cats, the mice dont stand a chance, they are instinctive hunters... and I dont think playing with them more is going to make a difference after they've already had their first taste of mouse...you didn't mention if your cats are spayed or neutered, if not check into it as sometimes this calms them a bit.