How can chocolate kill a dog?

My parents alwAys told me not to give a dog chocolate because it'll kill it how? What does it do to them?

My parents alwAys told me not to give a dog chocolate because it'll kill it how? What does it do to them?...
    General Dog Discussions : How can chocolate kill a dog?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How can chocolate kill a dog?

How can chocolate kill a dog? General Dog Discussions
      My parents alwAys told me not to give a dog chocolate because it'll kill it how? What does it do to them?

How can chocolate kill a dog? General Dog Discussions
    • There is an ingrediant in Chocolate that can give a dog heart problems, which can be serious. I am sorry, but I can't recall the name of the ingredient. However, you can buy chocolate for pets in a pet shop where this ingredient has been removed.

• Im not expert but, if given over a long period of time Im pretty sure it can cause diabetes and maybe death.I guess one tiny tiny tiny piece is okay, but I just advise not to give it any at all, because that type of sugar is bad for dogs.

• This website really goes into the dangers of chocolate. Dark chocolate and baking chocolate are one of the worse and the amount of chocolate ingested has an affect on the deadliness. http://www.dogtopics.com/165/7-questions-about-dogs-and-chocolate/Basically the chocolate has two things that are toxic to dogs which are theobromine and caffeine it effects organs like their heart and kidney, because they cannot metabolize it quick enough.

• Chocolate contains Theobromine which is an alkaloid found in chocolate, as well as caffeine. Both are toxic to animals. However since cats can't taste sweetness they are not so prone to chocolate poisoning. It causes cardiac arrhythmia, epileptic seizures, internal bleeding, diarrhea, bloating, gas, vomiting, and even death. The reason that it's toxic to dogs is because they can't metabolize Theobromine.