Is it true about dogs and Chocolate?

I have always herd that you can't give dogs chocolate because their systems can't digest it. Is this true or false?If someone could show me some evidence one way or the other it would be appreciated.

Is it true about dogs and Chocolate?

I have always herd that you can't give dogs chocolate because their systems can't digest it. Is this true or false?If someone could show me some evidence one way or the other it would be appreciated....
    General Dog Discussions : Is it true about dogs and Chocolate?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• i watched a special on animal planet once that said every ten lb of dog it will take 5 lb of chocalot to kill it. so if your dog is 20 lb no more than 10 lb of choclate. so if i applyed that rule to myself 55 lb of cholalot would kill me. thats alot of chocalotyeah makes sence. as for them acuring a taste for it, i don't know about you but my dog has a taste for just about anything weithr he knows it or not.

• It is true that real chocolate will kill a dog, but my lab/German Shepard has eaten a little bit of chocolate and been fine and my mom's friend's dog, a lab, has eaten chocolate before and did get an upset stomach from it one time. I think it depends on the breed. Chocolate is bad, but I think a little bit accidentally will not kill a large breed, but would kill a small breed. If you want to give your dog chocolate try carob, which can be found at your local pet store.

• Yes this is true.If your dog gets into a lot of chocolate it will break down their digestive system and cause renal failure. But if your dog into a little bit of chocolate it probably will live, although i would not suggest feeding your dog any chocolate especially small dogs. : ]for more info got to:Dangerous foodshttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_health

• The product that is actually toxic is Theobromine and yes, it is true. It depends on the SIZE of the dog to the AMOUNT and KIND of chocolate it eats.To put it in perspective, a 20-pound dog would have to eat 1.8oz. of baking chocolate, 5.3oz. of dark chocolate, or 11.2 oz. of milk chocolate for it to actually be considered toxic. A 50-pound dog would have to eat 4.5oz. of baking, 12.8oz. of dark or 2.4lbs of milk chocolate for it to be toxic.Toxcity signs that occur usually within around 12 hours of poisoning include: vomiting, diarrhea, tembling, excitement, nervousness, increased urination, muscle spasms, and seizures. So, yes, your dog can eat that hershey kiss (.16oz) that fell on the floor and you don't have to freak out. But, I still wouldn't recommend giving your dog a piece of your chocolate bar every day regardless. :)