my dog craked her nail in half and its not bleeding anymore but she licking it and shes not limping?

i explained to the vet what it looks like and he explained that it will fall off now if i see pus then thats when she needs to go to the vet. does that sound right?

my dog craked her nail in half and its not bleeding anymore but she licking it and shes not limping?

i explained to the vet what it looks like and he explained that it will fall off now if i see pus then thats when she needs to go to the vet. does that sound right?...
    General Dog Discussions : my dog craked her nail in half and its not bleeding anymore but she licking it and shes not limping?...

• my dog craked her nail in half and its not bleeding anymore but she licking it and shes not limping?

my dog craked her nail in half and its not bleeding anymore but she licking it and shes not limping? General Dog Discussions
      i explained to the vet what it looks like and he explained that it will fall off now if i see pus then thats when she needs to go to the vet. does that sound right?

my dog craked her nail in half and its not bleeding anymore but she licking it and shes not limping? General Dog Discussions
    • She's licking it because it's bothering her. You may be able to clip part of nail off that's split, if not, that's ok too. Just watch for redness and signs of infection.

• Yes there is no need to worry. Your Vet is completely right. The dog has a vein in their nail called the quick.http://www.dkimages.com/discover/previews/1009/50212941.JPGWhich can be seen in this picture. Which is why she started to bleed. This can be seen in dogs with white nails as a red line, but is harder to see in dogs with darker nails. You should always have "quick stop" at your house to be able to stop the bleeding when it starts.http://www.petco.com/product/2765/Four-Paws-Quick-Blood-Stopper-Styptic-Powder.aspxThis can also come in handy when clipping nails which should be done to prevent her from craking her nails. The fact that she is not limping is a good sign. She will continue to lick it to clean it. The reason why pus is a red flag is because it means that it has gotten infected, but this is very rare, and by the end of the day the dog will have forgotten the ordeal even occured.Best of Luck.