How to calm down dog through storms?

My morkie dog Bella is absolutely terrified of thunder storms. How do I calm her down?

My morkie dog Bella is absolutely terrified of thunder storms. How do I calm her down?...
    General Dog Discussions : How to calm down dog through storms?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How to calm down dog through storms?

How to calm down dog through storms? General Dog Discussions
      My morkie dog Bella is absolutely terrified of thunder storms. How do I calm her down?

How to calm down dog through storms? General Dog Discussions
    • The Thundershirt works great, but it's $60. Take an old t-shirt and wrap her body in it so it's like giving her a hug. Use duct tape to hold the shirt in place snugly, yet leave her legs free.

• Our clients tell us that the Thunder Shirt works!I have taken a sheet made of t'shirt material and cut it in a wide strip, then wrapped my dog's body pretty tightly in it. I used safety pins to hold it. (she was a lab) It helped, but didn't completely stop the problem.As dogs get older, they tend to get worse and worse with the storms. Many do better in the crate in your closet, especially if they have been crate trained to begin with. Remember that dogs are "den" animals and will feel comfortable in a small, dark space.Your vet has medication that can help, but it has to be given about an hour before the storm. Kinda hard to do, but not impossible. It would be okay if you gave it and the storm never came. We use a product called "Ace." Ask your vet if he'd recommend that for your dog. We also use that for dogs that are impossible when trying to trim nails and give baths.Some dogs can be extremely destructive -- tearing out drywall, etc. Those dogs almost have to be medicated during a storm.vet tech

• Make them a den under a small table or in a box turned on its side. A fluffy coverlet across it will help shut out sound. Some rooms or closets are more sound proof. My Chihuahuas like to get under my bed. I also am calm and turn on music to help drown out the sound. The lightning is less apparent in their den as well. My Chihuahuas hide in their dens when small noisy grandchildren visit also.