What will happen if a dog eats chocolate?

My dog ate chocolate icecream, and we do not have a vet. so what should I do?Please don't be rude?OR LIE just to make me sad!

What will happen if a dog eats chocolate?

My dog ate chocolate icecream, and we do not have a vet. so what should I do?Please don't be rude?OR LIE just to make me sad!...
    General Dog Discussions : What will happen if a dog eats chocolate?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• it has to be a certian type of chocolate in order to really bring any harm to him like I think he can eat a chocolate bar like symphony.but if it's that chocolate you or mom use for baking I would watch him\her like a hawk.

• well i for one agree with "need to know".they wont harm it if they ate too much but don't feed it to him again. he might eat grass and even maybe throw up but that is because he is trying get better.good luck.

• Ok just went through this with my dog at easter. A dog can tolerate 2 oz of chocolate her pd of weight. My 15 lb Bichon ate a 1/2 pd Hershey Bar at easter. Try to keep your dog calm and quiet. Make him drink lots of water. He will probably only get the craps and probably puke. My dog puked alot and had his little heart pounding 100 mph we kept him calm and he made it through just fine.

• chocolate contains theobromine, an alkaloid that dogs can't metabolize quickly. If a dog ingests a large amount of chocolate, the theobromine can build up and reach a toxic level of concentration, leading to cardiac arrest. Different types of chocolate are more harmful than others, and the effects will vary, depending upon the size and weight of the dog. However, it is potentially lethal. If you know your dog has ingested chocolate (signs of chocolate poisoning include vomiting, diarrhea, excessive urination, a quick heart rate, and rapid breathing) take him to a vet immediately. Source(s):http://ask.yahoo.com/20000607.html...

• I've heard say that chocolate can give dogs liver damage or failure in extreme cases (2 squares of bakers chocolate can kill a 20 pound dog) but they said if it isn't too much, give him 1 part (1/2 cup)hydrogen peroxide to 2 parts (1 cup) water. That'll weaken the chocolate and make your dog puke it up. And don't feed him chocolate ever again ok? :) glgl

• Chocolate is dangerous for dogs,cocoa eing the most lethal and milk choclate the least,keep it away from your dog,size of dog and amount they eat is always important,a great dane can eat more chocolate without problems than a pekinese can but if a great dane eats enough he can die also.Another thing....sweets and chocolate DO NO CAUSE WORMS,that is a myth and a wrather stupid one if you ask me.If you want your dog to have something like ice cream they have dog ice cream you can buy at your grocery store called frosty paws and they will love it.

• A dog would have to eat a HUGE amount of chocolate to have anything bad happen other than diarrhea. I've seen a dachund eat a whole bag of mini musketeers, he was fine. the chocolate in the ice cream isn't even relavent. You need to watch for what comes out the other end. It may happen on your livingroom floor if your not careful.

• Chocolate and dogs does not mix well...if they eat a small amount, probably no problem unless the dog is very small. But enough chocolate can kill even large dogs...it stimulates the nervous system, leading to arrhythmia and convulsions (worst case scenario). Dogs can have heart attacks with too much chocolate. It has nothing to do with allergies. If your dog is still ok, you have no problems. My dog got into chocolate once, was very high strung for hours, watched him very carefully, but he calmed down and all was well. Good luck

• Theobromine is an ingredient in chocolate and that is poisonous to dogs.Please be aware that milk chocolate and dark chocolate are completely different in the amount of theobromine. If your dog ate a snickers bar or Mr.Goodbar, then it wouldn't be as horrible if he ate a dark chocolate bar.My dog accidently got into one of my kitchen boxes during my move and at a snickers bar. For a 20 pound dog, I was worried he would have adverse reactions. We took him to the vet and they gave me the information I spoke of above.

• Chocolate, in large amounts, is toxic to dogs. It can cause severe upset stomach, and if enough is injested, death. Just watch the dog, as long as she seems ok, she should be fine. If the dog does start to get lethargic or sick, it's time to get a vet.

• ooooooohhh. I heard it's very bad for dogs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

• Ice cream is okay, I think, because it doesn't have actual chocolate in it. Just chocolate flavor. If it were actual chocolate, your dog would bcome very sick because it couldn't digest the chocolate. I think he should be fine in this case though.

• Chocolate contains theobromine that is toxic to dogs in sufficient quantities. It is a xanthine compound in the same family of caffeine. The good news is that it takes, on average, a fairly large amount of theobromine, 100-150 mg per pound of your animal, to cause a toxic reaction. Although there are variables to consider like the individual sensitivity, animal size and chocolate concentration. Milk chocolate contains 60 mg per ounce of theobromine. The toxic dose is one ounce of milk chocolate per pound of body weight. For example one pound of milk chocolate is poisonous to the nervous system of a 20-pound dog; one-half pound in a 10-pound dog. Keep in mind that the average chocolate bar contains two to three ounces of milk chocolate. It would take two to three candy bars to produce toxicity in a 10-pound dog. Sins of chocolate toxicity include: Excitement / nervousness / trembling Vomiting / diarrhea Excessive thirst / sometimes excessive urination. Muscle spasms Seizures Coma (rare) Death (rare) -- likely due to heart rhythm abnormalities.