How to clip my dogs nails if she doesnt let people touch her paws?

My german shepherd has very long nails but she hates having her paws touched, which makes it impossible to clip them. Is it possible for a vet to give her a sedative cuz it seems like the only way to get her nails clipped. She really needs her paws…

My german shepherd has very long nails but she hates having her paws touched, which makes it impossible to clip them. Is it possible for a vet to give her a sedative cuz it seems like the only way to get her nails clipped. She really needs her paws…...
    General Dog Discussions : How to clip my dogs nails if she doesnt let people touch her paws?...

• How to clip my dogs nails if she doesnt let people touch her paws?

How to clip my dogs nails if she doesnt let people touch her paws? General Dog Discussions
      My german shepherd has very long nails but she hates having her paws touched, which makes it impossible to clip them. Is it possible for a vet to give her a sedative cuz it seems like the only way to get her nails clipped. She really needs her paws clipped.

How to clip my dogs nails if she doesnt let people touch her paws? General Dog Discussions
    • the vet will do it for you for pretty cheap.. my parents vet charges them like 7 dollars to clip there american bull dogs because he freaks out when they try.

• If you have clippers and don't want to pay for the groomer you can try to train her to let you touch her paws. It will take some time and you won't be able to do it right away. The only things you will need are time, patients and treats. You start out by holding a treat in your fist so that she can smell it, while she is smelling it touch her paws, if she looks at you, her paw or tries to nip at you tell her "no" in a firm voice and remove the treat. After a few seconds try it again. But if she lets you touch her paw and she doesn't even notice it give her a treat and say "good girl". You slowly want to increase the time you are touching her paw, and remember to reward her every time. Once you feel she is comfortable with you touching her paws you can try to hold paw or rub it, remember when you think she is comfortable you don't want to move to quickly. Eventually you want to be able to hold her paws, rub them, and finally be able to mess with her nails a little. Once you can do all of this you can clip your nails. I'm not sure how long this process takes, some dogs will learn in a few days, and others in weeks. I think training her would be a lot better in the long run but sedating her will allow you to do it now but you will have to do it every time you clip her nails.if you are going to train her, the way to do it is if she is calm and laying down. Trying to do this with an excited or anxious dog can get frustrating.Good luck with you and your doggie.