how much chocolate can a dog have?

im not asking if i can give my dog chocolate, im asking if she got into some, how much would be deadly? i know its poison to dogs.shes a border collie mix, 40 lbs.

im not asking if i can give my dog chocolate, im asking if she got into some, how much would be deadly? i know its poison to dogs.shes a border collie mix, 40 lbs....
    General Dog Discussions : how much chocolate can a dog have?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• how much chocolate can a dog have?

how much chocolate can a dog have? General Dog Discussions
      im not asking if i can give my dog chocolate, im asking if she got into some, how much would be deadly? i know its poison to dogs.shes a border collie mix, 40 lbs.

how much chocolate can a dog have? General Dog Discussions
    • It's subjective; some dogs react badly with the smallest amount, some don't react at all even having quite a bit. It depends on the breed, the size and mass, and other factors. If money is a problem, then just keep your eyes on him for a bit, and if you notice anything out of the ordinary, I'd take him to a vet right away.

• depends on the size of the dog, the chocolate involved, empty stomach/not empty stomach, etc. but regardless of that, if it were to ever happen to your dog where he/she ingested some, best to be on the safe side and bring him/her to a vet to have it treated as soon as possible.

• it really depends on how your dog reacts, the type, the amount, etc.My 95 lb american bulldog ate a whole bag of reeses peanut butter cups, wrappers and all, and was fine, nothingMy sisters pointer ate a whole bag of kisses, once again, wrappers also, and was also fineSo there's really no way to tell i guess

• It really depends on the breed and the weight. If a bigger breed got a few little crumbs, it'll most likely be able to handle it. But little breeds would vomit and feel gross

• The amount of theobromine varies depending on the type of chocolate ingested. Here is a handy chart I found online: White chocolate: 200 ounces per pound of body weight. It takes 250 pounds of white chocolate to cause signs of poisoning in a 20-pound dog, 125 pounds for a 10-pound dog. Milk chocolate: 1 ounce per pound of body weight. Approximately one pound of milk chocolate is poisonous to a 20-pound dog; one-half pound for a 10-pound dog. The average chocolate bar contains 2 to 3 ounces of milk chocolate. It would take 2-3 candy bars to poison a 10 pound dog. Semi-sweet chocolate has a similar toxic level. Sweet cocoa: 0.3 ounces per pound of body weight. One-third of a pound of sweet cocoa is toxic to a 20-pound dog; 1/6 pound for a 10-pound dog. Baking chocolate: 0.1 ounce per pound body weight. Two one-ounce squares of bakers' chocolate is toxic to a 20-pound dog; one ounce for a 10-pound dog. Read the source material, it has other good information as well.