What will happen if my dogs get anesthetic and they have eaten?

I took my dogs to the vet this morning to have their teeth cleaned (And one is getting neutered)and the vet has to put the dogs under anesthetic to do this. I was told not to feed them this morning and I forgot. Yes, I am a dirtbag. Lets get past that…

I took my dogs to the vet this morning to have their teeth cleaned (And one is getting neutered)and the vet has to put the dogs under anesthetic to do this. I was told not to feed them this morning and I forgot. Yes, I am a dirtbag. Lets get past that…...
    General Dog Discussions : What will happen if my dogs get anesthetic and they have eaten?...

• What will happen if my dogs get anesthetic and they have eaten?

What will happen if my dogs get anesthetic and they have eaten? General Dog Discussions
      I took my dogs to the vet this morning to have their teeth cleaned (And one is getting neutered)and the vet has to put the dogs under anesthetic to do this. I was told not to feed them this morning and I forgot. Yes, I am a dirtbag. Lets get past that and just tell me, if you know, what are the side effects? If it matters...they are both 6yr old rottweilers.Thanks everyone! I called and told the vet I fed them. One is done and was fine and the other one is getting done right now and the vet said he would be fine. Thanks for making me fess up.

What will happen if my dogs get anesthetic and they have eaten? General Dog Discussions
    • Yes it matters. I would tell the vet so they can keep an eye on them. Just make some excuse why you didnt tell the vet beforehand. The dogs are more important than the effects of the mistake for you. Just talk to the vet for goodness sake.There are after-affects.

• Normally before anesthesia the vet gives them a tranquilliser which makes them vomit if they've eaten. The doctor doesn't depend on you, although you should tell him, so that he pays extra attention. They should have empty stomach for anesthesia, or they could choke to death. The doctor should make them vomit beforehand anyway, but you never know, so call him.