What do you do if your dog gets into chocolate and eats it?

It was a lot of chocolate. And I cannot take him to the vet because it is closed.

It was a lot of chocolate. And I cannot take him to the vet because it is closed....
    General Dog Discussions : What do you do if your dog gets into chocolate and eats it?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What do you do if your dog gets into chocolate and eats it?

What do you do if your dog gets into chocolate and eats it? General Dog Discussions
      It was a lot of chocolate. And I cannot take him to the vet because it is closed.

What do you do if your dog gets into chocolate and eats it? General Dog Discussions
    • We've all heard it, "Don't give your dog chocolate it will kill him". We'll how true is it you're probably wondering. Do I have to rush him to an emergency vet if he ate one of my M&M's?The truth is chocolate contains theobromine that is toxic to dogs in sufficient quantities. This is a xanthine compound in the same family of caffeine, and theophylline.Toxic LevelsThe good news is that it takes, on average, a fairly large amount of theobromine 100-150 mg/kg to cause a toxic reaction. Although there are variables to consider like the individual sensitivity, animal size and chocolate concentration.On average,Milk chocolate contains 44 mg of theobromine per oz.Semisweet chocolate contains 150mg/oz.Baker's chocolate 390mg/oz.Using a dose of 100 mg/kg as the toxic dose it comes out roughly as:1 ounce per 1 pound of body weight for Milk chocolate1 ounce per 3 pounds of body weight for Semisweet chocolate1 ounce per 9 pounds of body weight for Baker's chocolate.So, for example, 2 oz. of Baker's chocolate can cause great risk to an 15 lb. dog. Yet, 2 oz. of Milk chocolate usually will only cause digestive problems. Clinical SignsXanthines affect the nervous system, cardiovascular system and peripheral nerves. It has a diuretic effect as well. Clinical signs: Hyper excitability Hyper irritability Increased heart rate Restlessness Increased urination Muscle tremors Vomiting DiarrheaTreatmentThere is no specific antidote for this poisoning. And the half life of the toxin is 17.5 hours in dogs. Induce vomiting in the first 1-2 hours if the quantity is unknown. Administering activated charcoal may inhibit absorption of the toxin. An anticonvulsant might be indicated if neurological signs are present and needs to be controlled. Oxygen therapy, intravenous medications, and fluids might be needed to protect the heart.Milk chocolate will often cause diarrhea 12-24 hours after ingestion. This should be treated symptomatically (fluids, etc..) to prevent dehydration.If you suspect your pet has ingested chocolate contact your Vet immediately! They can help you determine the the proper treatment for your pet.

• Somethimes I think that the belief that chocolate is lethal for dogs is a myth...my dogs have eaten chocolate (I have three kids and sometimes I can't keep an eye on them sharing their candy with their pets!) Nothing has happened to my dogs...but, anyway, maybe they haven't eaten that much. Dogs have a fast metabolism...if something bad would have happened, it would have happened by now. If you see no symptoms yet, I guess you can be calm and call the vet tomorrow.Keep the dog near to you through the night so that you can keep an eye on him.

• I just went through this with my little chiahuahua he ate two hershey kisses and it could have killed him. Induce vomiting by giving your dog 4 tabelspoons of hydrogen peroxcide. let him throw up for an hour. after that hour give him a teaspoon of pepto bisthmal once every hour for three hours. after he has had that wait two more hours and feed him cottage cheese only for the rest of the night. don't let him have any other food but cottage cheese and water. he should bounce back and be fine in about 24 hours. If he is listless and doesn't want to move call an emergancy vet and get ther ASAP.