How can I tell if my dog is sick?

Well my dog is a chihuahua and shes been laying down all day and barely running around. She's been using the bathroom like she normally does. Her stomach feels kind of hard and earlier today it wasn't that big. Is she ok or is she sick?

Well my dog is a chihuahua and shes been laying down all day and barely running around. She's been using the bathroom like she normally does. Her stomach feels kind of hard and earlier today it wasn't that big. Is she ok or is she sick?...
    General Dog Discussions : How can I tell if my dog is sick?...

• How can I tell if my dog is sick?

How can I tell if my dog is sick? General Dog Discussions
      Well my dog is a chihuahua and shes been laying down all day and barely running around. She's been using the bathroom like she normally does. Her stomach feels kind of hard and earlier today it wasn't that big. Is she ok or is she sick?

How can I tell if my dog is sick? General Dog Discussions
    • Step 1Observe if the dog has diarrhea and/or is vomiting. This may be an allergic reaction to food or something the dog swallowed that he wasn't supposed to, and is often nothing to worry about, however, it could be an indication of something more serious. If the vomiting lasts more than a day or if the diarrhea lasts more than a few days or contains blood, mucous or is black and tarry, a vet needs to check it.Step 2See if the urine is cloudy, dilute (no color) or contains blood. This is usually the sign of a bladder or kidney infection. Normal urine is a clear yellow. Too frequent or not frequent enough urination might also be signs of a kidney disorder.Step 3Monitor your dog's water consumption. Increased water intake may be associated with kidney disease or diabetes. Of course, the more heated up or active your dog is, the more water she will drink. That's why it's important to keep close tabs on her drinking habits.Step 4See if the dog's nose is warm and dry. This might just mean he is dehydrated and needs more water, however, it can also be a sign of illness. The nose should be cold and wet, but not runny.Step 5Check inside your dog's mouth. If the gums are red rather than pink, it's a sign of inflammation or gum disease. Bad breath and/or drooling might also be symptoms of gum disease or tooth decay. Halitosis could also indicate a metabolic disorder.Step 6Observe the dog's activity level. If she remains lethargic or listless; it could be a sign of illness. Since more sleep and less activity may also be attributed to age, it's important to be aware of how much sleep is normal for your dog. Lethargy, weakness, loss of balance or limping for no apparent reason is a good indication there may be something wrong. Conversely, increased restlessness might also be a sign of a problem.Step 7Monitor your dog's eating habits. Look for a decreased/increased appetite or weight loss. Be aware of what a normal weight is for your dog based on age, food intake and activity level. If he has a loss of appetite or increased appetite for more than a 24-hour period, there could be something wrong.Step 8Be aware if your dog has difficulty breathing or prolonged panting. This may be associated with cancer, a respiratory problem, heart disorder, or possibly heat stroke. Coughing might be a sign of an irritation or something more serious, such as cancer.Good Luck!www.carewhiz.com