Will a dog really die of eating chocolate?

My dog eats chocolate and does nothing to him i don't get ithe is a Chihuahua heres wat he looks like in this video http://youtube.com/watch?v=SpycngH6ZHI&feature=usernot that i want him to die its just how come it does not effect him

My dog eats chocolate and does nothing to him i don't get ithe is a Chihuahua heres wat he looks like in this video http://youtube.com/watch?v=SpycngH6ZHI&feature=usernot that i want him to die its just how come it does not effect him...
    General Dog Discussions : Will a dog really die of eating chocolate?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Will a dog really die of eating chocolate?

Will a dog really die of eating chocolate? General Dog Discussions
      My dog eats chocolate and does nothing to him i don't get ithe is a Chihuahua heres wat he looks like in this video http://youtube.com/watch?v=SpycngH6ZHI&feature=usernot that i want him to die its just how come it does not effect him

Will a dog really die of eating chocolate? General Dog Discussions
    • theobromine will kill your dog and its found in chocolate why not give your dog healthy snack? it will be just as happy and alot healthier..heres a chart it shows how much chocolate it takes to poison your dog.http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2007/10/pets/chocolate-chart-interactivequit feeding it chocolate is it really worth losing your dog over?

• Are you out of your mind?Why would you feed your dog something that could potentially kill him?The most toxic chocolate is Bakers dark chocolate. A small amount of chocolate isn't toxic, but over time it can be damaging. I would stop that, now!

• It's REALLY bad for them. You might be killing your dog slowly. Chocolate is tolerable in small amounts, but it can cause your dog to get really sick, not just sick...but die. Everytime you feed him chocolate, you are weakening his system. http://www.dogownersdigest.com/news/library/chocolate-dog-poisoning.shtml

• wel yes, a dog can die form eating chocolate. but it depends on the quanity of chocolate the dog consumes. if a littlier dogs eats a lot, it can me fatal. but if a big dog eats some chocolate, it prob wont do anything. its an ingrediant in the chocolate that is bad for dogs, but i would suggest dont lt ur dog eat chocolate.

• I dont need to watch the video to let you know that you are an idiot. Feeding your dog chocolate CAN kill your dog. The fact that you know this, means you are culpable enough to be charged with animal cruelty. Though I hope your dog doesn't die, if something does happen to him, I hope you are seriously prosecuted for your stupidity.

• I've heard that it generally takes 1oz of chocolate for every pound of the dog's weight in order for the dose to be fatal. Of course amounts less than that are still bad, and the numbers may be skewed for Chihuahuas since they are way at one end of the doggy-size scale.

• Chocolate contains theobromine, a compound that is a cardiac stimulant and a diuretic. When affected by an overdose of chocolate, a dog can become excited and hyperactive. Due to the diuretic effect, it may pass large volumes of urine and it will be unusually thirsty. Vomiting and diarrhea are also common. The effect of theobromine on the heart is the most dangerous effect. Theobromine will either increase the dog’s heart rate or may cause the heart to beat irregularly. Death is quite possible, especially with exercise. Symptoms of chocolate poisoning include: vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, hyperactivity, irregular heartbeat and seizures.Larger quantities of chocolate can poison or even kill a medium or large dog. An ounce or two of chocolate may not seem like much but it can be lethal to a small dog that weighs 10 lbs. or less. After their dog has eaten a large quantity of chocolate, many pet owners assume their pet is unaffected. However, the signs of sickness may not be seen for several hours, with death following within twenty-four hours.Cocoa powder and cooking chocolate are the most toxic forms. These forms of chocolate contain ten times more theobromine than milk chocolate. Even licking a substantial part of the chocolate icing from a cake can make a dog sick. The next most dangerous forms are semi-sweet chocolate and dark chocolate, with milk chocolate being the least dangerous. A dog needs to eat more than a 250gm block of milk chocolate, however the high amount of fat found in milk chocolate can lead to an attack of pancreatitis.1 ounce per pound of body weight (2 ounces per kg of body weight) for milk chocolate. 1 ounce per 3 pounds of body weight ( 1 ounce per 1.5 kg body weight) for semi-sweet chocolate 1 ounce per 9 pounds of body weight ( 1 ounce per 4 kg) for baker's chocolate.

• some dogs can some arent allergic to it the darker the deadlier. my foster dads beagle got into huge bags of chocolate more then i can count on my hands and ate wrappers and all he is still living but just because he isnt allergic to it doesnt mean it is healthy for him at all!