Would my vet be able to pick up heart problems with a stethoscope?

My dog was just in for his yearly checkup, and the vet said his heart and lungs sounded great. He pants (and he's 10), so the vet would have picked up if he had a heart problem, right? He's a Boston Terrier and 25 (26?) pounds, btw.He's in otherwise…

My dog was just in for his yearly checkup, and the vet said his heart and lungs sounded great. He pants (and he's 10), so the vet would have picked up if he had a heart problem, right? He's a Boston Terrier and 25 (26?) pounds, btw.He's in otherwise…...
    General Dog Discussions : Would my vet be able to pick up heart problems with a stethoscope?...

• Would my vet be able to pick up heart problems with a stethoscope?

Would my vet be able to pick up heart problems with a stethoscope? General Dog Discussions
      My dog was just in for his yearly checkup, and the vet said his heart and lungs sounded great. He pants (and he's 10), so the vet would have picked up if he had a heart problem, right? He's a Boston Terrier and 25 (26?) pounds, btw.He's in otherwise great shape, he just pants (not in his sleep or anything). He doesn't cough but sometimes hacks if he drinks water too fast.He also takes monthly heartworm medicine.

Would my vet be able to pick up heart problems with a stethoscope? General Dog Discussions
    • They can tell you if they have heart murmurs and if they can tell you that, they'd most likely be able to also tell if it is beating irregularly. I always trust my vet and if she tells me everything sounds good, then I take her at her word.

• Bracheochephalic (smushed nose) breeds such as a Boston are less heat & exercise tolerant than a long nosed breed due to the shape or their sinuses. Thus they pant more. this is likely what you are seeing. My breed has been doing extensive studies comparing stethoscope to echo-cardiogram heart testing - its NOT 100%- a FEW dogs will have a mild valve dysfunction that is not audible through a stethoscope. there also can be a mummer and NO detectable heart dysfunction BUT its very rare for a SEVERE heart dysfunction to not be audible (or a very loud mummer not be connected to dysfunction) as with most body systems there is 'slack" less than peak efficiency is usually not significant so a problem so mild as to be not audible is unlikely to cause symptoms or shorten life....