Why does my dog lick the carpet and then go outside and chew on grass like a cow grazing in the field?

My Black Lab is almost 12 years old in feb. I suspect a hairball because after chewing the grass, she'll throw it up. But if not I'll notice the grass in feces a couple of days later . Any thoughts?

Why does my dog lick the carpet and then go outside and chew on grass like a cow grazing in the field?

My Black Lab is almost 12 years old in feb. I suspect a hairball because after chewing the grass, she'll throw it up. But if not I'll notice the grass in feces a couple of days later . Any thoughts?...
    General Dog Discussions : Why does my dog lick the carpet and then go outside and chew on grass like a cow grazing in the field?...

• Why does my dog lick the carpet and then go outside and chew on grass like a cow grazing in the field?

Why does my dog lick the carpet and then go outside and chew on grass like a cow grazing in the field? General Dog Discussions
      My Black Lab is almost 12 years old in feb. I suspect a hairball because after chewing the grass, she'll throw it up. But if not I'll notice the grass in feces a couple of days later . Any thoughts?

Why does my dog lick the carpet and then go outside and chew on grass like a cow grazing in the field? General Dog Discussions
    • The reason dogs eat grass is so they can regurgitate their food. It's possible there is an irritant, such as carpet cleaner, that he licks up. Perhaps he likes the smell.

• my dog will lick crums off the floor he loves to clean up if its food related. He also loves to eat grass I was worried at first since normally dogs eat grass to be able to throw up something that is upsetting their stomach. But some dogs just love to eat grass and there is no way to stop them unless you tear all the grass out of the area your dog is in. He might just like to eat grass i know that sometimes my dogs feces is almost just grass because he eats so much of it. If your dog usually doesnt eat grass he might have something in his stomach that upset it or possibly swallowed something that he cant digest. If he starts to not eat and look since than take him to the vet but otherwise he is just a dog that likes grass!