What causes a cat to cough suddenly, BESIDES a hairball, this is clearly not the sound of that.?

My 4 yr. old cat just suddenly yesterday started coughing (almost like a human cough that isn't dry). I will definitely call our vet tomorrow for an appt., but anyone had this happen to their cat? Do they get colds like we do? She seems fine…

What causes a cat to cough suddenly, BESIDES a hairball, this is clearly not the sound of that.?

My 4 yr. old cat just suddenly yesterday started coughing (almost like a human cough that isn't dry). I will definitely call our vet tomorrow for an appt., but anyone had this happen to their cat? Do they get colds like we do? She seems fine…...
    General Dog Discussions : What causes a cat to cough suddenly, BESIDES a hairball, this is clearly not the sound of that.?...

• What causes a cat to cough suddenly, BESIDES a hairball, this is clearly not the sound of that.?

What causes a cat to cough suddenly, BESIDES a hairball, this is clearly not the sound of that.? General Dog Discussions
      My 4 yr. old cat just suddenly yesterday started coughing (almost like a human cough that isn't dry). I will definitely call our vet tomorrow for an appt., but anyone had this happen to their cat? Do they get colds like we do? She seems fine otherwise, still fat as ever, eats well, just has these coughing fits. I know the sound of a hairball cough and this isn't it. Thanks in advance!~

What causes a cat to cough suddenly, BESIDES a hairball, this is clearly not the sound of that.? General Dog Discussions
    • Coughing is never normal in a cat. It's also important for you to advocate for your cat's health. A thorough veterinary exam is necessary, but your veterinarian doesn't live with your cat and many times, the exam that your cat gets is only as good as the information that you provide. Give your veterinarian information about how often your cat coughs or has difficulty breathing, as well as the circumstances under which this happens. Is it a rare occurrence or does it happen every day? Does your cat gag, choke, or swallow at the end of the cough? That might mean excess mucus, which is another sign that this may be asthma instead of hair balls. Can your cat play without have difficulty breathing, and if not, how soon after running or playing does the problem occur? Does your cat have difficulty breathing when sleeping or at rest. Unfortunately, there isn't a test that your veterinarian can do to make the diagnosis, so all this information is essential. If your cat has a history of sudden difficulty in breathing or has a chronic cough, your veterinarian will do an x-ray of your cat's lungs. You may be told that there are changes that look like "doughnuts" to the layperson. Hopefully you cat does not have anything this serious. I have a cat that had pneumonia and I noticed something was wrong from him falling down and then panting like a dog would. I put my ear up to his chest and heard lots of congestion. I rushed him to the vet on an emergency basis and it was good cause the vet said his right lung has shut down and the left one was going. He would have died if I hadn't brought him in so soon.Maybe it's just a upper respiratory infection. Cats are prone to those and I do remember my cats coughing with those as well. These are usually cured with a round of antibiotics. Hope all goes well at the vets and I helped you some.

• Cats can catch colds, or suffer from allergies just as their owners can. She could have had an allergic reaction to something in the environment, or have a cold. Definitely the best solution is to take her to the vet. As long as she is acting the same, and eating as well and you do not see any changes in her litter box activity or hear any changes in her breathing, she should be fine. I have pets also, 4 spoiled kitties and 1 spoiled puppy, but that's okay...ha ha. I know the hairball cough/choke sound very well also, it is inevitable. Thank goodness it does not hurt them when it happens. It just sounds painful to us. Best of luck with your fur baby, sounds like you are a very conscientious pet owner. Have a good day!

• Cats get colds in their upper respiratory tract just like we do. If you take your kitty to the vet, he or she will check it out for various illnesses and give him an antibiotic (liquid) and you'll have to give him this yourself for a week or so (until ALL the medicine is finished). Then he'll be good as new hopefully!