Can dogs really die from Chocolate?

What does it do to them? What kind of dog is most effected after eating chocolate? Is there a chocolate thats ok for dogs? Any certain chocolate that really isnt good for dogs? Has this been medically proven? Are they sure the dogs that dies werent just…

What does it do to them? What kind of dog is most effected after eating chocolate? Is there a chocolate thats ok for dogs? Any certain chocolate that really isnt good for dogs? Has this been medically proven? Are they sure the dogs that dies werent just…...
    General Dog Discussions : Can dogs really die from Chocolate?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Can dogs really die from Chocolate?

Can dogs really die from Chocolate? General Dog Discussions
      What does it do to them? What kind of dog is most effected after eating chocolate? Is there a chocolate thats ok for dogs? Any certain chocolate that really isnt good for dogs? Has this been medically proven? Are they sure the dogs that dies werent just allergic to chocolate?

Can dogs really die from Chocolate? General Dog Discussions
    • Yes they can. I believe it damages their liver, but not positive on that. Any and all breeds can die from eating it, but it depends on the size of the dog and how much they consume. I believe it's 1 ounce per pound to see toxic effects.Also, some types of chocolate are worse than others. For example, white chocolate is the least worrisome because it contains the least amount of theobromine(sp?). That's what makes the chocolate toxic. Baker's chocolate contains the most. I think doggie baker's use carob instead of chocolate for dogs.

• Yes. Human chocolate is poisonous to dogs because it contains a substance called theobromine. This is a medical fact and nothing to do with allergies. The dogs that have died from this poisoning died in agonising pain from liver failure. Any human chocolate is poisonous to dogs except for white chocolate, which is just really bad for them in dietary terms! Doggie chocs which you get from your pet store are perfectly safe as they do not contain the poison. The poison is contained in the cocoa solids, so cocoa powder is the most dangerous, then dark chocolate, then milk chocolate. An 8oz tin of cocoa powder can kill 2 labrador size dogs.

• Chocolate contains theobromine, a compound that is a strong chemical stimulant. In humans, who metabolize the alkaloid quickly, theobromine has been shown to have some beneficial effects including mood elevation, myocardial stimulation, cough surpression, and vasodilation (widening of blood vessels from relaxation of the muscular wall of the vessels). However animals -- especially cats, dogs, horses, birds, and small pets -- are unable to effectively metabolize theobromine. If they are fed chocolate, theobromine will remain in their bloodstream for up to 20 hours and may cause epileptic seizures, internal bleeding, heart attacks, and even death. Chocolate is such a potent stimulant than it is banned in horse-racing as a performance-enhancing drug.

• So I'm told but, when I was a child we had a miniature poodle and my mother used to fix him a Christmas stocking. In it she put slim jims and lots of Hershey's kisses. We didn't know about the harm done to dogs by choc. then. Well, he ate it, but not all at once. Never had a problem. Maybe it depends on how much choc. the dog eats at one time. I guess the caffeine in it is bad for their heart.

• I heard that only bakers chocolate was truly fatal to dogs, but my suggestion would to ask your vet. My parents have a small dog who ate a whole bag of peppermint patties, so who knows! I would ask my vet to be sure!

• some do some don't, since one of ours died from it we wont feed it any more.the worst is dark chocolate.but carob is an imitation that is healthy, it comes from the carob tree.and it taste a lot like chocolate.

• yes they can, I read a newspaper article that explains it well. A small amount is not bad for a dog (VERY SMALL AMOUNT) but the smaller the dog the less it can handle. A larger dog may be able to eat a chocolate bar and be ok, but if a smaller dog did it, it could be fatal. So smaller breeds would be more seriously effected by this. Most dogs will just get sick if they eat a bit of chocolate, my personal experience, my dog got a hold of one of those mini bars, and shes about 50 lbs, she was ok at first but then later she threw up twice and had diarrhea the next day. every dog will react differently as people's bodies all react differently to different foods. Bottom line- Dont give a dog chocolate. There is choc. flavored carob that is natural and safe though!

• Chocolate is to dogs as arsenic is to people. It is poison to them. A lot will kill one immediately and a little is a slow death depending on the size of your animal. I personally think it would be cruel to give it to them.

• Dogs cannot eat chocolate....the dog wont die but it will have terrible diarea and will throw up.All chocolates are the same.It has been mediclly proven and I had an experience..... My dog Bosco at a chocolate bunny i got my boy friend for easter and he was a mess for a week.....This happens to all dogs. its best if the dog and the chocolate stay apart

• Chocolate is toxic to dogs however I had a German Shepherd that once ate a whole bag of chocolates. Foil and all. Because they were not mostly dark chocolate, she was a big dog, vet said not to worry, she will pass it. And she did. Looked like easter eggs. The vet told me then that a smaller dog eating a large amount of chocolate could be serious or ANY SIZE DOG EATING BAKER'S CHOCOLATE would be in danger. Baker's chocolate is particularly toxic to dogs.