Why do people always suggest to SPAY and NUETER?

When someone on here asks a question say if their dog is in heat or not why do people say things like: "sounds like she is in heat you need to get her to a vet ASAP and spay" and even its her first cycle they demand she is rushed to the vet even though…

Why do people always suggest to SPAY and NUETER?

When someone on here asks a question say if their dog is in heat or not why do people say things like: "sounds like she is in heat you need to get her to a vet ASAP and spay" and even its her first cycle they demand she is rushed to the vet even though…...
    General Dog Discussions : Why do people always suggest to SPAY and NUETER?...

• The majority of owners cannot be trusted to own intact dogs/cats w/o they breeding. It is more helpful & healthy for pets to be fixed than not.When an ovariohysterectomy (OHE) is performed prior to the first heat period in a female dog, the risk of mammary cancer later in life is less than 1%. When OHE is performed between the first and second heat periods the risk is about 8% of mammary cancer later in life. Anytime after the second heat period the risk of mammary cancer in female dogs is about 25%, whether an OHE is performed later, or not. This is perhaps the strongest argument for spaying female dogs. The other major medical risk to female dogs that can be avoided by OHE is pyometra.Since millions of pets are put down annually, there is no need for additional ones to be born to untrained breeders.

• There are actually several health problems with neutering and spaying too young, especially neutering. Fragile bones, puppies unable to handle the operation, even cancer risks and several more. I'm sure other people who know more can explained more detailed. In Norway and several other European countries, neutering is illegal before the age of 3, and spaying illegal before three months after the first heat (don't know why that age). There are few health benefits to neutering, but many to spaying. It's mostly to control dog overpopulation, something my country don't have.That source is supported by every Norwegian vet I've talked to and every Norwegian Study I've read. Americans support neutering way too much because so many people just let their dogs breed without thinking.Legit: My dogs are not fixed. Maybe I would if they ran away a lot, or had some minor behaviour problems I couldn't fix, but they are both calm, well behaved and obedient dogs. And I would never let them breed, hence I don't understand why I should.

• I have #15 Chihuahuas, both male and female and every single one of them is Spayed, Neutered, Microchipped and Up To Date on all their Vaccinations! Why, because I want my dogs to be healthy and want to keep them around for a very long time. I also am not willing to add the the massive overpopulation problem that already exists in shelters!Dogs need to be Spayed and Neutered not only for their health, but because there are so many innocent and loving dogs in Shelters, that did not ask to be there and are waiting for someone to take them home and love them and take proper care of them. Unfortunately there are not enough homes to go around and adopt them all, so the dogs end up being Euthanized, if they are there for a certain amount of time and are not adopted. Irresponsible breeders who know nothing about breeding their dogs and do breed their dogs are putting their dogs lives at risk, because they have No Experience and are only adding to the overpopulation problem, which means that more dogs get Euthanized to make room for all of the new dogs coming into shelters. The majority of irresponsible breeders have no homes lined up for the puppies they have and the Shelter is where those puppies eventually end up. These shelter dogs deserve to go into new loving homes! Why not give them the chance of being adopted instead of creating more problems and having puppies you can't take care of or find homes for? Spaying and Neutering your dog, is the right thing to do, the most responsible thing to do and the most loving thing you can do for your dog!ADD: I don't have a problem controlling Intact dogs but I just prefer, mainly for my dogs health for them to be Spayed and Neutered!

• I do believe it is an owners choice to neuter (neuter is a neutral term, can be applied to both male castration and female spaying). There are pros and cons to both leaving dogs intact and neutering.Sadly, many people cannot handle intact animals. I do encourage it, but don't always suggest it. However, if I read a question where the person obviously has no knowledge of reproductive cycles in dogs I do suggest neutering. Its just too dangerous. There are differing opinons on when the ideal time to neuter is. Some believe it is fine to neuter at 6 months, the same time as a first heat. Legit - two are, one is not. Why? Because he is a working dog and technically not ours to neuter.@ Fiona - no, we know the answer. We know the different between an estrus cycle and a menstrual cycle, unlike many on here who ask about their dogs "period". We also know the signs of heat and how to deal with an intact dog.We know the answer to your question is 8 months is far too young for a b*tch to have a litter. We also know YOU are directly contributing to the overpopulation of dogs AND risking your pups health.One more thing, we know that barking and chewing are behaviors in dogs that lack training, which has nothing to do with breeding.

• Because there are way too many unwanted, abandoned, stray dogs (and cats) out there right now!!!! Have you ever taken a stroll through your local animal shelter? Have you ever checked out a rescue organization? It will bring tears to your eyes and put everything into perspective. Not only will you find "Heinz 57's" but many pure breed animals whose owners can no longer take care of them for whatever reason. Some have lost their job and can no longer afford to feed them, much less pay for routine medical care. Others find themselves in poor health, unable to care for themselves much less an animal. Many older people are finding their new home is a Nursing Home where their beloved pet is not welcome! BOTTOM LINE: Why chance an unwanted litter with an unspayed/unneutered dog (or cat) when there are already so many out there in need of a loving home?

• i think that is all these peoples answers on here because they don't know the real answers to the questions. I don't agree with them at all. I want to know what happen to all the dogs way before ours that our dogs came from down the line they did not have all these test most all that stuff they talk about is a money maker form the big breeders and some or our so-called vets. like in my dogs i breeding them so my family and i can have some of there pups because i have such good dogs with good and funny traits. a couple people have some champ blood line dog that have papers and all that and there crazy chew, bark and some act like nuts not all. my two boston's are the best dogs i have ever known i ahve had all kinds of animals all my life and i will never own another kind of dog except boston's.

• Because there are too many animals as it is. Shelters are over flowing with dogs, cats, and etc. that have either been given up, seized, or found as strays. And once the shelter is full, what happens to the animals that haven't made it in there?So many dogs & cats end up getting euthanized simply because there isn't enough room. Is this fair to these loving companions? Of course it isn't! They have to get put down because there's no room for them. And that's a seriously heart breaking fact. By Spaying/ neutering your pet, your could save the lives of other animals! Think about it, if you have a dog and she has puppies, and no one wants those puppies and you can't keep them, what happens to them? Then end up at a shelter/ pound. And if no one adopts them? They eventually get put down! Cold truth.Also, for the scenario you mentioned, it may be for the pups safety that she get spayed. Think about it, most dogs will do anything to get a female that's in heat. If she's on her cycle it could be potentially dangerous for her if other dogs are around. Would you want that for your little sweetheart?And yes. My dog is fixed. I have a lovely Alaskan Malamute gal named Mo. She is fixed because I don't want potential pregnancies where I know I wouldn't be able to keep the puppies, and I don't want to clean up that mess, either! Or make her wear doggy diapers! I'm getting a Siberian Husky on Monday named Zoie, and she's being spayed before she comes to us as well!SPAY AND NEUTER YOUR PETS!

• Because if they don't even know whether their dog is in heat or not they simply shouldn't have an intact dog. It takes nothing to do a bit of research, but instead they ask on here because they cba. Legit - No, my dog is intact. Why? Because I actually took the time to research it instead of going along with the BS that is fed out. It is certainly not the best thing for your dog healthwise - infact quite the opposite. That being said a lot of people would struggle with an intact dog because obviously they can try your patience more if they aren't fully trained before the adult hormones start kicking in. I am by no means against spaying and neutering but I think people should have the choice. There's so much pressure to get your pets 'done' that people don't think twice.

• I do not feel everyone should have their dogs spayed/neutered and depending on the question and situation, I like to think my answer reflect as such. I do not tell them that, but that is how I view the question when I answer it. Out of nine dogs, 5 are not spayed or neutered. Me personally, every dog is evaluated differently before I make that decision. In 1999 there was a study done on Rottweilers that had been spayed or neutered to those whose reproductive systems were left intact and discovered that female Rottweilers that were spayed early in life were four times more likely to develop bone cancer than females that remain sexually intact..In addition, I had a beautiful Husky die during a routine spay procedure which of course left a bad taste in my mouth. Making it more important to follow my own guidelines. However it is a tremendous amount of work keeping the intact males away from the bitches in season if I do not kennel them. I have been successful so, but one of my bitches will be five this summer and I am considering having her spayed.

• Because then I don't have to read 5 times day here on "OMG I think my dog is PG!! What do I do?"Next question. Yes, my purebred Border Collie I compete with in agility is spayed.Last question. Reading posts here...obviously not.