How much is your average visit to a vet? And how do you know which one to choose?

I'm sixteen and support myself. My cat is getting worse and I'm almost positive it's a staph infection. She's losing her hair and throwing up. I have to take her to the vet myself, because my step mother could give a half a shit. Any help is appreciated.

How much is your average visit to a vet? And how do you know which one to choose?

I'm sixteen and support myself. My cat is getting worse and I'm almost positive it's a staph infection. She's losing her hair and throwing up. I have to take her to the vet myself, because my step mother could give a half a shit. Any help is appreciated....
    General Dog Discussions : How much is your average visit to a vet? And how do you know which one to choose?...

• How much is your average visit to a vet? And how do you know which one to choose?

How much is your average visit to a vet? And how do you know which one to choose? General Dog Discussions
      I'm sixteen and support myself. My cat is getting worse and I'm almost positive it's a staph infection. She's losing her hair and throwing up. I have to take her to the vet myself, because my step mother could give a half a shit. Any help is appreciated.

How much is your average visit to a vet? And how do you know which one to choose? General Dog Discussions
    • A normal physical exam starts at 50, usually, with added costs based on any additional testing and then from there based on the necessary treatment and medication. Choose a vet based on experience, but also one that's willing to work with you. A good vet is more concerned about helping your pet than money, and should be more than willing to explore some payment options with you so that you can get your cat some help. Most vets have plenty of experience with cats, so you shouldn't have much trouble. I tried a few vets before finding one that I really liked.

• I have two vets: one for my cats/dogs, and one for my ferrets. At my dog/cat vet, office visits cost about $30 (sometimes, if we are running tight, she'll waive the fee). Sometimes for strays we find or she'll give us medication that is still potent, but is closer to the expiration date, therefore it's cheaper, or if we buy so many flea and tick medications she'll give us one or two free. So, for that, it is relatively cheap (as long as the vet works with you). I can't give exact quotes, seeing as the diagnosis is still unclear. The best you can do is call up a few that seem likely and describe the symptoms and ask for a estimate (office/new patient fee/diagnostic tests/treatment). Fair warning, though, on vet bills: most vets don't offer much besides Care Credit (which is a medical credit card--good for anything from vet's to people doctors). It takes years of knowing a client before they are willing to do more traditional payment plans, now. We've been at our dog/cat vet since we moved here ten/eleven years ago, and she'll wait for payment or accept monthly payments. At my exotics vet, they won't accept monthly payments (even directly from a credit card); they'll only accept full payment or Credit Care (and we've been there for a few years--not consistently, but long enough, I'd say). You might not be able to be choosy this time, but generally, I go by the feeling I get from the vet and technicians. If they seem to like my animals, if they are knowledgeable and can explain the situation well, if there aren't a series of major or frequent mishaps, then they're a vet I can deal with. But if they try to piddle away money, don't explain what they're doing or why, are always snappy/mean, and can't handle my animals, then I'd find another vet to go to.Hope this helps and good luck.