How often do I need to deworm a dog?

How often do I need to deworm a nine month old dog and how much would it cost in Winnipeg, Manitoba? Also how many times does the dog need to go for vaccines and how much would that cost as well? I'm planning to get a dog. So I need all the information I…

How often do I need to deworm a nine month old dog and how much would it cost in Winnipeg, Manitoba? Also how many times does the dog need to go for vaccines and how much would that cost as well? I'm planning to get a dog. So I need all the information I…...
    General Dog Discussions : How often do I need to deworm a dog?...

• How often do I need to deworm a dog?

How often do I need to deworm a dog? General Dog Discussions
      How often do I need to deworm a nine month old dog and how much would it cost in Winnipeg, Manitoba? Also how many times does the dog need to go for vaccines and how much would that cost as well? I'm planning to get a dog. So I need all the information I can get about how much it will cost. Thanks to all who answers!

How often do I need to deworm a dog? General Dog Discussions
    • usually you just need to deworm them once, occasionally a second deworming is necessary. A puppy needs puppy shots then boosters, then yearly vet appointments and vacs such as rabies. Cheapest place I have found is the low cost spay and neuter clinic.

• A dog needs to be checked for worms on a regular basis, at least every 6 months and more often if it shows symptoms of having worms. The price will vary depending on the type of worms he is infested with because the treatment for some takes several visits to the vet. Next, the vaccines are extremely necessary and the price will vary from one vet to another.Dogs not only need the routine vet care, there are many unexpected things that can come up and some of these things are very costly. One should not get a dog or any pet unless they are sure they can cover the financial expenses to meet any medical needs that arise as well as the routine cost of vaccines.You may want to check with a local vet, see what vaccines he recommends and find out the cost before getting a dog. This would give you some idea of the routine costs, and remember to factor in the cost of neutering or spaying your animal.

• Your dog should be on a monthly worm, flea, and tick preventative medication prescribed by the vet. Something like this: http://www.ah.novartis.ca/companion/dog/sentinel.shtml Depending on your dogs size, it will likely cost about $125 a year. Puppy vaccine series will cost you around $225, and after that your dog only needs to be vaccinated every three years.Spay/neuter, now that the pup is over 9 months (it's less expensive before 9 months in my area of Canada) will run between $125 and $200. Feeding a medium sized dog a high quality food will cost around $55.00 a month.Plus there is grooming, or grooming tools if you do it yourself (at least a good brush, for a short coated dog, and brushes, combs, clips, sheers, scissors, and possibly clippers for a long coated dog). You'll also need to buy a good dog shampoo, for bathing. You will need a crate for housebreaking, bowls, at least one leash, a collar, a harness if it's not leash trained, lots of treats for encouraging good behavior, a bed, and toys. You will need to license the puppy with the city. Yo can look up the fee through the City of Winnipeg website.You will need to have some money put aside for emergencies, or accidents, if you don't have comprehensive pet insurance. Insurance will run around $80 a month, for a plan that covers almost everything, and will cover you (limit wise) for almost anything. Otherwise, you should have $5000 set aside for vet care.You should always do at least one round of puppy kindergarten (and then continue on with obedience), and the cost will vary greatly depending on your kennel club. Give them a call to find out what they charge.The first year is usually the most expensive (barring any serious diseases later on down the road). After that, you can expect to pay between $800-$1200 to RESPONSIBLY own a dog.