my friends dogs nails have grown really long and he,s having trouble trying to walk on the laminated flooring?

i have tried to cut down his nails but i reach the point where he feels it but there still to long can somebody help

my friends dogs nails have grown really long and he,s having trouble trying to walk on the laminated flooring?

i have tried to cut down his nails but i reach the point where he feels it but there still to long can somebody help...
    General Dog Discussions : my friends dogs nails have grown really long and he,s having trouble trying to walk on the laminated flooring?...

• Get them trimmed by a vet immeadietly! Don't try doing it yourself, dogs have a vein in their nail..If cut they could bleed to death. Tell your friend to go to the vet if he cares about his dog.

• U have to be very careful if you try to do them yourself because if you cut through the wick,it bleeds & bleeds then you need pot ash to dip the nail in,but I advise you not to do the dogs nail's if you really don't know,best bet is to take the dog to the vet & ask if you can watch & if the vet can give you some tips on how to cut then yourself,it is easy but you do need to know how to do it,.

• It will not be a quick fix.You will have to trim them regularly, so the 'quick' retracts and they can be trimmed short again. You can only cut as far as the quick is or it will bleed, then you have to wait a few weeks for the quick to retract before trimming more. You can ask a vet or groomer as to how often you should trim the dogs nails to get them back to a short length safely. Walking on rough surfaces such as pavement and concrete will also help keep nails short naturally.

• do not try to trim them at one time. Since they have gotten this overgrown they will need to be trimmed in sessions. You can take the dog to the vet or do it yoursef. the nails will need the very tip cut off every week. This allows for the blood vessels to shrink and receed up into the nail. the next week the vessels will have gone away from the tip of the nail and the tip can be trimmed off. you should never cut the nail to the blood vessel or to where he can feel it. this is painful for the dog and will make it harder the next time.

• Have a professional groomer do it. Or have the vet do it, if they are too long and causing pain to the dog or the dog cannot walk properly- the dog may have to be sedated. Otherwise, just keep cutting it , just a little each time. You can even use a metal nail file. Also have the dog run on hard surfaces such as concrete which may help file them down. But make sure you take care of it, the long nails can cause the paws to splay which causes even more foot and leg problems.

• I bring one of my dogs to the vets or a groomer to have it done. I always seem to hurt her when I do it, but maybe I am not. She dosn't like it anyway.You cannot trim too much off at the one time, you may hit a blood vessel. (But don't worry, its not a major artey, and the dog will not bleed to death if one is cut! Major arteries don't go to the nails, lol. Flour will stop the flow.)You will be able to see the little vein in the nail if your dog has clear nails. You need a special dog nail clippers to cut them so I reccommend bringing your dog to the vet, for the first time anyway.Good luck!

• clip them down to where you can see the blood vein and dont go past or they will bleed. You might have to cut a little at a time everyday or take the dog to the vet for a trim. Also make sure you use nail cutters for dogs and not people nail clippers. Hope this helps.

• they need to get the dogs nails cliped as soon as possible at the vets or the dog groomers, the owner can clip their dogs nails but you must know how to do it as they have a vain called the quick, cut through this vain the dog will bleed. if the owner is going to clip the dogs nails i would recomend buying this stuff called quick stop if you accadently cut the vain all you have to to is put some quick stop on it and it should stop. for the dog slipping on the floors you can get this wax stuff from pets at home it prevents the dog from slipping on floors and it also protects their paws from stones and other things, not sure if it works or not never tried it.http://www.doityourself.com/stry/nails

• We had the same issue with Holly. She was largely a shelter dog for the majority of her life and now her quicks (the part you aren't supposed to cut) are very long and her nails are SUPER long.What we have done is bring her to a groomer and just have her nails trimmed, once every three weeks. Only costs a few bucks and by keeping them tidy, the quicks will get shorter and shorter.It will be a fairly long process, but worth it in the end.Just google "your town, dog groomer" and explain the situation to them and they can get your pup on a nail shortening program.Good luck!

• I AM WITH DOUMBEK ON THIS ONE;SIGN OF A LAZY OWNER, OK THIS DOESNT ANSWER THE QUESTION, BUT IF THE DOG IS WALKED ENOUGH THEN IT WOULD NOT HAVE LONG NAILS.BEST ADVICE FROM EVERYONE AND ME INCLUDED IS GET THE DOG TO THE VET, AND THEN TELL YOUR FRIEND TO BUY A LEAD.

• If your friend had any consideration for his dog he would not have laminated floors. Also long walks will help to reduce the dogs nails. Take the dogs to get its nails cut,then take him for long walks. He should also provide rugs to enable his dog to walk in the house and avoid the laminate floors.