is it ok 2 feed our cat tuna fish every day?

not had cat very long (he's approx. 6 yrs old) just seems 2 have gone right off his food lately apart from his biscuit treats. my wife gave him a tin of tuna this morning and he could'nt get enough of it

is it ok 2 feed our cat tuna fish every day?

not had cat very long (he's approx. 6 yrs old) just seems 2 have gone right off his food lately apart from his biscuit treats. my wife gave him a tin of tuna this morning and he could'nt get enough of it...
    General Dog Discussions : is it ok 2 feed our cat tuna fish every day?...

• No it is not a good idea. The mercury in fish isn't good for cats not to mention that is not a balanced diet for cats and lacks calcium and many other ingredients cats need for a healthy diet. Tuna as an occasional treat is okay though. There are lots of illnesses cats get that lack of appetite are symptoms of. I would contact a vet if I were you. Sorry your kitty is sick.

• If it cat food tuna, it probably will be all right. Tuna intended for humans lacks taurine, which is crucial for their health.Some cats may not benefit from the higher phosphate content of fish, but many show no effects.

• It's not a good idea to feed the cat tuna everyday. It not only causes very stinky litter boxes, but it can also create health issues. If the cat is being finicky in it's eating habits lately, maybe switch to a senior diet or put the tuna juice on the food to get the cat interested in eating again.

• No, tuna should be an occasional treat as it contains mercury which can cause organ failure in cats. Are his teeth okay? Sometimes if cats have a lot of plaque or a loose tooth they stop eating. It would be best to get a Vet to give him the once over.

• IF he's not eating anything else but treats, then yes. But it's a myth that tuna is good for cats... in very small doses, yes, it's ok...Maybe he's not adjusted to the food that you're giving him, if you changed his food from what he was eating before you got him. You can't just change foods, it has to be a gradual thing otherwise they have digestive problems, which would make him not want to eat.Try mixing a small amount of the dry food in with some wet food, and gradually with each feeding increase the amount of dry food mixed in and when it's half and half, start decreasing the wet. Leave some regular dry food out for him with no wet in a separate dish as an option to munch on during the day, but if you feed him morning and night, try the mixing... chances are he's just got indigestion or something.Another idea is to drizzle the tuna water (don't use the tuna in oil) on the dry stuff to make him interested in it again. I give my cats the tuna water when I drain my cans of tuna and they LOOOOVE it!!If nothing else, check with your vet for ideas.Good luck!

• no. there is mercury in tuna, its bad for humans and its bad for cats. my husband was eating tuna everyday. one tin a day. he changed into a vicious bad tempered monster. he also had a terrible itchy rash which was entirely my fault (in his bad tempered mind). the doc sent him for a blood test. the result was a dangerous level of mercury in his blood . so he stopped eating tuna and he returned to normal

• No.I mean - if its a fresh, raw tuna steak... then i guess it's ok - but to feed it tinned stuff can be incredibly harmful.To keep it preserved they add lots of salt or oil and you cat should NOT be eating any of this stuff at all.If he has gone off his food i suggest getting him some more quality stuff and get rid of the treats! Having something tastey in your diet like a treat makes everything else taste like crap in comparison.Get him some fish flavoured *QUALITY* cat food... don't buy the cheap rubbish with more ash than meat in it...

• It's ok to feed a cat tuna occassionally, but don't let it become a habit. Fish, other than clams or some shellfish, has no taurine and taurine is one of the few things cats cannot produce on their own, and it is essential. One meal a week (of tuna) would not lead to any problems overall. If you were feeding fish regularly you’d need to add 50-100mg of taurine per meal to prevent long term problems. Cats can also develop yellow fat disease from having too much tuna. Yellow fat disease occurs most commonly in young, overweight male and female cats with inappropriate diets. (steatitis is another name for the yellow fat disease)Tuna fish, and many other fish species, contain relatively large amounts of unsaturated fats. Excessive unsaturated fat in a cat’s diet can be very harmful. Feeding your cat too much tuna, can also lead it to become deficient in vitamin E, as tuna and many other fish possess very little vitamin E. Vitamin E is a very important antioxidant which helps oxidize dietary unsaturated fat and helps prevents diseases such as steatitis.Overall, Tuna can be fatal to cats, even if its canned in water. Tuna flavored food is okay, but the actual tuna meat is not. If your cat lost interest in it's own food and prefers the tuna, take the water (not the oil), that is drained off and and put it on the dry cat food. It should help make the dry food and treats more appealing to your cat.

• NO WAY!!! tuna or any fish is high in magnesium which can and will cause urinary tract infections and urinary tract blockage NEVER give your cat especially male cats fish or fish products stick to beef, chicken, turkey, liver....you never want your cat to go through blockage or infection it wouldnt be a bad idea to put your cat on a urinary tract formula of food such as Purina One for Urinary Tract health...it is a preventative measure ...

• You absolutely have to feed cats Complete & Balanced Cat Food - it contains an amino acid called Taurine that they need to survive. I repeat - they will die without it! Check out this great article on choosing the best cat food:http://cats.about.com/cs/catfood/a/tipsforchoosing.htm

• Good nutrition and a balanced diet are essential elements for good health. The ideal diet for your cat includes a good quality food and plenty of fresh water. Your cat should be fed amounts sufficient to meet energy and caloric requirements. Inadequate or excess intake of nutrients can be equally harmful.Dry cat foods have greater caloric density which means simply, there is less water in a 1/2 cup of dry food as compared to a canned food diet. Overall, the choice of "dry" vs. "canned" vs. "semi-moist" is an individual one, but most cats enjoy eating a combination of a dry food along with supplemental canned food. Cats in the various life stages, including kitten ("growth"), adult and senior ("geriatric"), require different amounts of nutrients. Special situations such as pregnancy and nursing kittens can dramatically affect nutritional needs. Working cats need more calories, while the "couch potato" needs less (just like us).Cats have particularly unusual nutrient needs. These include:Vitamin AYour cat doesn't have the ability to convert the carotene found in plants to vitamin A. His source of vitamin A must come from liver, kidney and other organ meats. If a cat lacks vitamin A in his diet, poor growth, weight loss, damage to cell membranes and decreased resistance to disease are among the possible consequences. More importantly, female cats may fail to cycle, the embryo may fail to implant or the pregnant cat may abort or produce kittens with abnormalities, such as a cleft palate.NiacinYour cat is unable to synthesize niacin from the amino acid tryptophan, due to an excess of a certain enzyme. Therefore, unlike other animals, his requirement for niacin must be met entirely from niacin present in animal tissues (plants are low in niacin). Deficiencies include weight loss, loss of appetite, unkempt fur and wounds around the mouth.Essential Fatty AcidsYour cat requires sufficient arachidonic acid, a fatty acid found only in animal tissue. Therefore, he requires some animal fat in his diet. Dermatitis and poor reproductive performance are among the deficiency symptoms.TaurineYour cat's taurine requirement is quite high. Naturally he'd obtain taurine, an amino acid, from muscle meats. Fish and shellfish are also exceptionally good sources. Taurine deficiency can produce central retinal degeneration (CRD), a form of blindness. Besides CRD, deficiency symptoms of taurine include poor reproduction and dilated cardiomyopathy (heart muscle disease).In addition to these dietary peculiarities, your cat requires a high amount of protein in his diet, about 12 percent in comparison to 4 percent for adult dogs. Unlike you, your cat does very well on a high-fat diet. Fat gives him needed energy, assists the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins, such A and E, and adds taste. Fat also adds to his needed calories, a daily requirement of about 35 kilocalories per pound of body weight. FeedingYou can either feed him at least two meals a day or leave food out for snacking. In order to fulfill his needs, feed him one ounce of canned food daily, or 1/3 ounce of dry food, per pound of body weight. Most young cats (one to four years of age) are very active and self-regulate their food intake, thereby maintaining a healthy body weight.As your cat ages, he may slow down and begin putting on extra weight. Monitor his weight - if he's becoming too fat, consult your veterinarian.Remember, water is also an important nutrient. He needs fresh clean water daily. Your cat drinks about twice the amount of water as he consumes in dry food, though since canned cat food in greater than 75 percent water, he barely drinks when his diet consists of canned cat food only. RecommendationsThe Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) is an organization that publishes regulations for nutritional adequacy of "complete and balanced" cat foods. Diets that fulfill the AAFCO regulations follow the national consensus recommendations for feline foods and will state on the label: "formulated to meet the AAFCO Cat Food Nutrient Profile for...(a given life stage). Consider Your Cat's AgeFor kittens (up to 8-9 months of age): Feed your kitten a consistent canned, semi-moist, or dry cat food designed for kittens. For adult cats (1-9 years): Feed your cat a consistent canned, semi-moist, or dry cat food designed for an "adult" cat. For senior cats (8-9+ years): Feed your cat a consistent canned, semi-moist, or dry cat food designed for a "senior" cat. Consider Your Cat's Body ConditionUnderweight cats: Feed your cat 1-1/2 times the "usual" amount of food and make an appointment to see your veterinarian about your cat's body condition. Consider switching to a food with higher protein and fat content. Lean cats: Many healthy cats are a bit thin, especially active young male cats. Consider increasing total daily food or caloric intake by 25 percent. Weigh your cat every week, if possible, to chart progress. Chubby cats: If your cat is a bit overweight, try increasing the daily exercise routine. Gradually increase exercise over two weeks unless limited by a medical condition. Many cats like to play. If these measures fail, cut out all treats and reduce daily intake of food by up to 25 percent. Fat or obese cats: Stop all treats except hairball medicines if needed. Increase exercise gradually over 2-3 weeks if not limited by a medical condition. If these measures fail, reduce the total daily food amount by 25 percent to 40 percent, switch to a low fat/high fiber diet, and call your veterinarian to discuss plans. Inquire about prescription-type reduction diets that can really be effective while providing balanced nutrition. Preferred FoodThere are a number of prominent manufacturers of high quality cat foods, including Iams (Eukanuba), Hill's (Science Diet), Nature's Recipe products, Nutra Max, Pedigree, Purina and Waltham, among others. Follow the label recommendations, but use your own judgment in determining how much to feed. Always provide your pet with fresh water.It's vital that your cat eats a complete and balanced diet consisting of good quality meat products. Unlike dogs (and people), cats are strict carnivores. They require essential nutrients such as taurine, arginine, vitamin A and essential fatty acids that plant food lack. She also needs plenty of fresh water as well. Your cat should be fed amounts sufficient to meet energy and caloric requirements. Inadequate or excess intake of nutrients can be equally harmfulThe simplest answer is, "Because it closely approximates the diet cats would get in the wild; the diet to which their physiology is naturally attuned." Cats eat a varied diet in the wild, including organs, brains, and occasionally, stomach and intestine contents: mice and other rodents small mammals birdsfish snakes and other reptiles insectsHowever, for various reasons most feline caregivers do not have the resources, nor the time to offer live prey to their cats; others may feel squeamish at doing so (although frozen baby mice warmed to room temperature may afford a rare treat.) Enter the raw food diet, which most closely approximates the diet of felines in the wild.Canned Tuna is among the most popular food stuff to feed to companion cats, because cats are very fond of it. It is not uncommon for cats, that regularly receive tuna, to refuse all other foods. Cats displaying this addiction-like behaviour are often refered to by Veterinarians as "tuna junkies". Feeding a mainstay of canned tuna is long known to cause diseases of dietary origin. One of the most prevailing diseases afflicting "tuna junkies" is Steatitis or Yellow Fat Disease - an inflammation of the fat tissue in the body due to a deficiency of vitamin E. A vitamin E deficiency is usually the result of feeding tuna, or any canned fish, packed in vegetable oil. These products are high in polyunsaturated fatty acids which oxidate vitamin E, besides being a poor source of vitamin E to begin with. Currently, a diet consisting of large amount of any type of fish is considered the most common cause of this syndrome, [1.] Canned fish - tuna or other, packed in water or oil - is not a complete diet for cats. Although it is high in protein, it does not supply the cat with sufficient amounts of certain amino acids, mainly taurine, to maintain health. The Calcium to Phosphorus ratio in canned tuna is 1:14.8 [2.] - providing the cat with too little Calcium to balance Phosphorus, resulting in bone disease caused by a loss of Calcium in the bone due to a deficiency of this mineral in the diet. [3.] The only canned fish providing sufficient Calcium is salmon with bones. Also, many essential vitamins are not provided in sufficient amounts through a diet of canned fish, such as vitamin A and most B vitamins, like Thiamin, Riboflavin. Pantothenic Acid, Folic Acid, and Vitamin B-12 [4.] Last but not least, canned fish is high in sodium, possibly providing the cat with too much of this mineralThe simplest answer is, "Because it closely approximates the diet cats would get in the wild; the diet to which their physiology is naturally attuned." Cats eat a varied diet in the wild, including organs, brains, and occasionally, stomach and intestine contents:

• No it's not a good idea to feed fish daily to a cat. It can cause an array of urinary tract issues that will land you at the vets spending thousands. Let me share with you what I have learned about feline nutrition to help you make an informed decision on what diet you should feed your cats.Many brands of manufactured cat foods claiming to be "healthy" really are not. In fact they are made of the lowest ingredients possible. I'm not saying that a cat can't live off them... just the same as you could live off hot dogs and Mac and cheese forever, but better choices can and should be made for your feline friends. I would not venture to say that any manufactured food is "best" for a cat but a grain free organic wet food would be a good start. Feeding canned is certainly better than feeding dry in all cases. Cats were never meant to eat dry food, also known as cereals or kibble. We, humans, make them eat it for convenience to us. It has nothing to do with them or their nutritional needs. It's completely species inappropriate. In the wild, cats derive their entire liquid intake from their prey. They do not have a thirst mechanism because they don't need it when eating a species appropriate diet. They get all they need from what they eat. So they do not drink water. Regular ol' house cats have descended from those same wild cats. So in a home environment, your kitty does not get the moisture it needs from dry food and it’s almost always in a constant state of dehydration. Water fountains are encouraged to TRY to get your cat to drink more and your kitty may even enjoy it, but it will never meet its water intake needs drinking from a bowl. Deadly feline illnesses such as diabetes, kidney failure, obesity, stones, urinary tract blockages and Urinary Tract Infections (FLUTD), with and without deadly crystals run rampant these days. Cats are not taking in enough water to stave them off. Proper water intake through a species appropriate diet alone can prevent most of these conditions. Overall, wet is a better all around better for any cats diet, be it canned or Raw and they should never be fed dry cereal kibble if we wish to most closely match their wild nutritional and dietary needs. Kibble meets our needs… not our cats.It is also bogus that kibble cleans teeth. DRY FOOD DOES NOT CLEAN TEETH. It's an old myth that has been scientifically disproved for years, but old-school vets drilled it into people's heads for so long (and sadly still do) that people still believe it. Cats can not “chew”. They do not have chewing teeth. They have meat ripping pointy carnivorous teeth. They do not have molars. They may “crunch” a piece of food once to crack and break it… but they are absolutely unable to chew a hard piece if food. Want your cat to have clean teeth? Give them an appropriately sized raw bone. :o)I personally feed a Raw Meat and Bones based diet to my cats and they are very healthy on it. I HIGHLY recommend it. Once I got the hang of it and felt comfortable with it it's a snap to prepare. It's something you might want to consider someday. They are obligate carnivores after all and must derive ALL their nutrients from meat based sources. They are unable to absorb them from any other source. Despite thousands of years of domestication they remain strictly carnivorous. True and honest meat eaters and that is what they need most. Protein from meat! If you are interested in feeding a raw diet some great places to start learning are http://www . catinfo . org/ , http://www . catnutrition . org/ , and http://www . felinefuture . com / nutrition/ .If you would like to try raw with your cats and don’t want to get all technical about it but want to try a trusted, time tested and balanced raw diet you can order from http://www . felinespride . com/products/cat... . I purchased this myself when I first started and my cats loved it! If raw is not an option for you please be aware that there are three Categories of Pet Foods: -"Grocery store" foods – (Generic Brands and cheap name brands) Those foods found in grocery stores and mass-market retailers are made with lower-quality, less-digestible, inexpensive ingredients and are therefore a cheaper alternative. While easy on the pocketbook, "grocery store" foods normally do not provide your cat with the healthiest, most nutrient-dense ingredients.-Premium foods – (Iams/Eukanuba, Purina One, Hills Science Diet, Nutro and such) Foods often found in grocery stores, pet stores, and veterinarian offices that contain higher-grade ingredients, but still include many elements of "grocery store" food, such as artificial colors, artificial flavors, chemical preservatives, and "filler" ingredients such as corn and wheat products, by-products and even animal digest. Yuck! Premium foods are usually more expensive than "grocery store" foods because their ingredients are sometimes of a higher quality, and are therefore somewhat more beneficial and digestible. But don’t be fooled, some of those same so called Premium brands are sometimes worse than grocery store foods, but they charge prices like they are better. They aren’t! -Healthy foods – (Wellness, Merrick, Eagle Pack, Drs Foster & Smith) The newest addition to the pet food market - provide pets with the highest quality, healthiest, and most nutritious ingredients. They are typically available for purchase online or direct from the manufacturer. Some better retailers are starting to carry them now. Complete Petmart carries a few healthy brand foods. Foods in the Healthy class contain nutrient-rich ingredients. Formulated to provide optimum health benefits for pets, these foods often use real meat as the primary protein source, carbohydrate-rich whole grains like brown rice and barley and whole, fresh fruits and vegetables. They should not contain artificial preservatives, flavors, or colors. They will almost always be fortified with additional vitamins and minerals, and will use the best natural sources for fatty acids to help build healthy skin and a beautiful coat. Because healthy foods use high quality ingredients, you should expect to pay a little more than you would for other types of pet food. Remember, though, with healthy foods you can feed less since healthy foods are more nutrient-dense than other types of food so it often evens out or cost’s les than feeding foods filled with cheap non-nutritional by-products fillers.With all that information in mind, when you are choosing a new cat food, study the ingredients. All ingredients on pet food labels are listed by weight. Meaning whatever ingredients are listed first on the list, there is more in there. The first ingredients listed should be whole meat ingredients, protein sources, such as Chicken or Turkey. NOT just the word “meat”! Who the heck knows what that is? The word Chicken Meal is ok, but it should be a secondary ingredient, not first. Meal is the meat dehydrated and ground into a powder. The ingredients also should NOT include any by-products or animal digest whatsoever. Those are disgusting left over animal parts that are scraped off the filthy floors of meat and poultry plants. They should just go into the trash but they put them into pet food instead. EW!!!! Also make sure there are no artificial colors or flavors. And make sure there is no BHA and BHT used preservatives. These preservatives have been shown to cause cancer in both cats and dogs. Bad Bad stuff and it’s in almost every cat treat on the market. :(So, in summery of the ingredients… if you see the words by-products, Animal Digest, the word “meat” alone, Corn, Corn Gluten, Wheat Gluten, or BHA or BHT… stop reading, put down that product and move on to the next.Be aware that when switching to a Healthy, Holistic or Organic food, you will pay for what you get. Good foods are not cheap. They are pricey and will cost you more than cheaper products, just like steak costs more than hotdogs. But again, you will be feeding a better food and improving the over all health of your pet. This in turn leads to less vet visits for illness now and more importantly later in life in their geriatric years. You will also feed less of this food on a per animal basis because a smaller amount of food contains what your cat needs. Overall healthy wet foods are well worth it, if only for the piece of mind that the ingredients are better for your cat than cheap crap. You can start your research for a healthy cat food here if you are not ready to try feeding a Raw diet: http://www . onlynaturalpet . comIf you want to buy in a store, Complete Petmart is a good store and carries quite a few natural, organic, and holistic blends. Also check with your local feed/grain stores.I highly recommend you take the time to research for yourself, but the information I have given should get you off to a good start. Good luck choosing a new healthy food!********IMPORTANT*******Don’t forget to switch your Pets food slowly over a period of 10 to 14 days, if you can. Mixing 25% new to 75% old. Then 50/50… then 75% new to 25% old. And finally switch over to 100% new. Take it slow as not to upset their digestive system. Side note… Please don’t feed Iams / Eukanuba. It’s ALL fillers, byproducts, animal digest and CRAP. Read the ingredients! There is nothing good for your cat in that food. Not to mention they conduct the most appalling animal testing you have ever seen. http://www . iamscruelty . com to see the terror they create.