Euthanizing your dog, would you stay or go?

Until last November I have never been in the situation where I was called on to make the decision. Our vet suspected DCM or another heart problem had scanned her and was waiting for the result from a cardiologist. Becca rapidly deteriorated and was…

Euthanizing your dog, would you stay or go?

Until last November I have never been in the situation where I was called on to make the decision. Our vet suspected DCM or another heart problem had scanned her and was waiting for the result from a cardiologist. Becca rapidly deteriorated and was…...
    General Dog Discussions : Euthanizing your dog, would you stay or go?...

• I could never leave my dog - I would want her cuddled in my arms. If possible I would like her to be put to sleep at home.

• If I could, I would stay. I might want to leave, but my heart would not let me. I want to say good-bye and that I love him/her.Blue, my Australian Cattle Dog/Australian Shepherd, died a little over a year ago. His first owner was arrested and Blue was abandoned. So we took him in. He stayed with us for four years, until he was five, until he got an internal parasite and heartworms. He was too weak and I couldn't make it to the Vet's to see him die. I wish I could, but I know that he died happy instead of lonely.

• i had to do the same thing except my dog was hit by an old Bitch.her front legs were so messed up.she wold ether have to pay 4,000 for each leg to be fixed or euthanized so we chose to let her go.she was a great dog too.right b4 the needle went in i laid down next to her and she kissed me and then she was gone! then we had to tell my special needs sister.[the dog was bought for her]

• Always stay. I think it is important for the dog for you to be with them through the end. But I think it is also important for the owner to walk this journey with them and say good-bye.Our dogs give us so much love and devotion, we should never abandon them in their final hour of need. I have always chosen to be with mine and never regretted it, even when it was the most difficult. I would never let them go through this alone. They gave me their companionship, I owed them that much in return.I am sorry for your loss. I also find it comforting to write their life stories when they pass. It helps me to honor and celebrate their lives. You did a courageous and loving thing. God Bless You. Never regret that decision; it was the right thing to do for your beloved Becca. She deserved to be in your presence when she passed.

• My cat had to be put down after next door's dog paralysed him. I decided to stay with him as didn't want him to die without a friend to stroke him and make him feel comfortable. I was very sad and it was a tough thing to do and cried buckets afterwards but was glad I was there for him.

• It's a personal decision as people handle things differently. Some people would not want to be there because they don't want to remember their last moments with their dog this way. This is okay.I went through this situation and I chose to be there because I wanted to let my dog know how much she meant to me and I didn't want her to be alone in her last moments. The last gasps of breath were hard for me to forget as well but I believe I would have had a harder time knowing that I wasn't there for her in the end.

• I always stay. This spring I had to put down my sister's cat for her, and 2 kittens I was trying to raise that were fading fast and weren't going to pull through. I stayed with each of them until the end. It's heartbreaking, and I cried the entire procedure and for days afterwards, but in the end, I'm glad they had me there for their last few moments. I currently have 2 dogs and 3 cats, and I will definitely be there for their last moments too. I don't think it's fair to make them leave this world alone and scared without anyone they know and love by their side to comfort them.

• I would stay, but I would be upset... I could never think about my dog dying and I don't want to.... But, if it was in his best interest, I could probably handle it... I would want to be able to hug him one last time and tell him I loved him... I am sorry about your loss...

• I chose to stay with my Molly, she needed me, and it was the last thing I could for her.She had cancer and had been at the vets for 5 days and was gradually getting worse, there was nothing more we could for her. She was in pain and I could see in her eyes that she couldn't take anymore and it was time to go.I held her at the end and kept hold of her until she'd gone. It was very peaceful for her, and she just went to sleep.It was a really hard decision, but I knew I had done the right thing for her, I'd always done the best I could for her during her life, I couldn't let her down at the end.You did the best thing for Becca, you should take comfort in knowing that you were there for her at the end, and didn't let her down.I wouldn't like to die alone, and I wouldn't make my dogs have to.