what is the outlay for breeding dogs?

what is the outlay for breeding dogs?...
    General Dog Discussions : what is the outlay for breeding dogs?...

• what is the outlay for breeding dogs?

what is the outlay for breeding dogs? General Dog Discussions

what is the outlay for breeding dogs? General Dog Discussions
    • There's the cost of the dogs themselves, purchasing them as puppies from reputable breeders. There's the cost of showing them to CH. There's the cost of food, veterinary services, grooming, etc. There's the incredibly high cost of health certifying them (this is not a vet check): OFA (hips & elbows)CERF (eyes)cardiacDNA (to ensure neither parent has a genetic defect to pass on like hip dysplasia, patellar luxation, polycystic kidney disease, etc.)TemperamentThyroidThis will run thousands of dollars. Then breeding costs, veterinary care for the mother through pregnancy, whelping or potential emergency C-section, puppy veterinary care (you would of course worm the pups and provide first shots). There are legal costs, you need a contract for every puppy you sell that includes a no breeding clause and a directive that no puppy or dog that leaves your breeding facility ever end up being given to a shelter or sold to someone else. They must come back to you so that you can rehome them. There is the cost of becoming an expert in the breed so that you can mentor the owners of your puppies and be a resource to them for the life of each puppy you sell.

• It depends on the breed- there is the general day-today costs of upkeep of any dog, show training and entrance fees, travel to shows, genetic screenings (in the US it's OFA), stud fees, vet visits, whelping supplies, more vet visits, emergency fund, etc.For my first bit** it broke down like this for her one litter: Purchase of puppy $1000 (half price for a co-own)show fees approx $600/month for 2 yearsPennHip and OFA elbows and Thyroid $1000Cardiac Echo $200Stud fee $2000Progesterone testing $70 each (5x)Transcervical AI $150Ultrasound $70Xray $50Check up $50Whelping supplies including box $300C-section $2500general puppy care $3002 umbilical hernia repairs $320PLUS my hubby and I each took a week off from work so we had someone home full time for 2 weeks when the pups came. We lost one, gave 2 back as a co-own agreement, kept one for ourselves, gave one out as a co-own and sold the remaining 5 pet prospects for $1300 each. Guess how much we made?? That's right- you do the math. Since then we have tried to breed that same bit*8 unsuccessfully 4 times. I have lost another $4000 in stud fees, shipping, and vet visits only to plan to have her spayed this summer when she turns 5.