Will neutering my Rottweiler stop him from marking in the house?

He is 3 months and getting him neutered, when he is 6 months.What are the after affects?What will change?Will he still have the protective instinct?

He is 3 months and getting him neutered, when he is 6 months.What are the after affects?What will change?Will he still have the protective instinct?...
    General Dog Discussions : Will neutering my Rottweiler stop him from marking in the house?...

• Will neutering my Rottweiler stop him from marking in the house?

Will neutering my Rottweiler stop him from marking in the house? General Dog Discussions
      He is 3 months and getting him neutered, when he is 6 months.What are the after affects?What will change?Will he still have the protective instinct?

Will neutering my Rottweiler stop him from marking in the house? General Dog Discussions
    • yes, it will.the immediate after effects, he'll probably be drowsy and possibly just wanting you to leave him alone for a few hours..or he'll want cuddles, I don't know your dog. In a day or so he'll be active.He will have less of an alpha male feel and he'll be less likely to run a mile to a female he smelt in heat. He'll probably be calmer, too.It's in his blood, so yes. Most dogs will protect their owners though.

• Yes he will still be protective, however hopefully his peeing in the house will decrease. Do not think however that, that is a quick fix as at 3 mo old he really doesnt have any sexual drive..and has not even dropped his testicles until about 6 mo old. You need to train right now. By neutering him though you are also preventing many health problems down the road so def get it done!

• Neutering a dog is a wonderful thing - thank you for being a conscientious owner!Neutering will most likely lower the marking instinct - it may or may not stop it completely. The after affects are very minimal. It will not change his personality or his desire to protect you and your property. It will be healthier for him, as many diseases will be avoided.Does your vet recommend waiting until 6 months? I ask because many vets in my area will do spay/neuter surgery early. They feel a young puppy can adjust better to the anesthetic, the surgery, and recover faster due to their young age. (On the flip side, some vets won't do early surgery as they feel the dog has to mature first).

• As he gets older he will mark more... He might also try to run off because they can smell the scent of a female in heat from a pretty far distance and its just instinct to go get her...But if you neuter he will be much calmer and easy to handle... He may loose some of his aggression but should still have his protective side intact if you have a good bloodline since that is what they were bred to do... I suggest getting him neutered if you are not going to breed him... You will be much happier with him....

• Neutering does not guarantee a dog will stop marking in the house completely (although it does happen sometimes), but it will probably help minimise it.He may well be lot more docile, calmer and passive. But not to the point where he'lll lose his personality. My dog has been neutered and can still get excited and play. He's still a hyper bundle of energy, but not 24/7.Any dog, fixed or unfixed, will protect someone it loves if any situation arose. Neutering also prevents testicular cancer, stops him fathering any "oops" litters (like the world needs any more) which you may be half liable for and should help curb any aggressive/competitive/territorial behaviour. No, it won't eliminate it completely (only training does that), but it ought to help.

• Getting him fixed may or may not prevent him from marking- it really depends on the individual-if he isn't doing it yet then I would get him fixed as early as you can to prevent it from becoming an issue. Neutering him may make him a little less dominant and a little easier to train. Many male dogs that are not fixed can have aggression problems especially if they are not being used for breeding- you don't want to have that big out of control dog that EVERYONE is afraid of. I think that if you're ever in a situation where you feel threatened- just looking at a rottie will make people leave you alone ;)

• first of all neutering doesnt always settle them down. thats a myth, dogs still have protective instincts neutered or not. and they also still have territorial instincts neutered or not, so yes he will probably still make his territory. but having it done at 6 months he may not, you will just have to wait and see. but establishing territory is still a natural behavior.

• Good for you for getting you dog done soon.What are the after affects? Well he will be a much more better and calmer dog. What will change? Him being a nice dog. His health is better.Will he still have the protective instinct? Yes he will. Any dog will. It doesn't matter if they have bin done or not.

• I had my 3 year old Chihuahua done in March of this year, he wasn't marking much just occasionally and he has only slipped up once and that was because we had a visiting Chi that did it on my table leg so he copied !! he hasn't done it again I cleaned with vinegar and water to take the scent off.Are you sure it isn't because you havent house trained him properly? I would concentrate on that for a couple of weeks.Mine has stopped bonking his toys now and his personality hasn't changed,. It does take a couple of months before you see any change as his hormones are still in his blood! mine is still protective though and still would chase the postman given the chance! I am still waiting for him to stop going for larger dogs!! he only likes them if they are his size I had hoped he would stop that! and he still sniffs a lot when walking him and pees a lot on every corner! lamppost! But its early days yet.I slept on the floor with him for a few days to stop him jumping up on our bed! otherwise all went well.

• Sigh .... well trained males do NOT mark in the house.Did you know that Rottweilers, already predisposed to bone cancers, are more likely to develop osteocarcinoma if they are castrated when still immature?Despite what the neuter police say, there are very few advantages in castrating a dog. True they won't develop testicular cancer but that is rare in dogs anyway and even more rarely fatal.http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongTermHealthEffectsOfSpayNeuterInDogs.pdf