Is my dog too old to be neutured?

I have a male 4 year old labrador/alsation cross. He's always been a bit of a "boy" shall I say but some reason the past few weeks he's been too agressive for us to handle. He's had a check up at the Vets about a month ago and is in good health.We're…

Is my dog too old to be neutured?

I have a male 4 year old labrador/alsation cross. He's always been a bit of a "boy" shall I say but some reason the past few weeks he's been too agressive for us to handle. He's had a check up at the Vets about a month ago and is in good health.We're…...
    General Dog Discussions : Is my dog too old to be neutured?...

• the animal rescues agencies neuter most of their dogs and cats before re homing them so the answer to your question is yes,do you take him to obedience or activity classes, if hes at home with you all day and only goes for his walks he might be boad,and they can help you get him back under control

• All pets can be neutered at all ages, the only case when the paet would be too old is if they are 20, or such old age, and very weak, so that they wouldn't make it through the anesthetic.

• the risk is small hes still a young animal and the vet will check his health on the day of the operation. (as animal get older there is a grater risk do to the Anaesthetic) my 2nd dog was done at 3 years old (rescued dog) with no problems

• Not too old at all. Age in itself does not affect anaesthetic risk, it's the health problems that go with age that affect it. However, four years old is not old at all, your dog is in his prime and should have no problems!Neutering will not necessarily cure the aggression problems however - I'm not saying it won't, but don't be surprised if it doesn't. You may have to look into behavioural remedies. Do definitely get him castrated tho, as it will prevent testicular and prostate cancer when he does get old.Chalice

• Not too old. My dog was 5 when he was neutered, and that's not considered particularly old either.If you have any worries, ask your vet. Well done - you are doing the right thing.

• He's not too old but it may make no difference at all and he will have gone through unnessecary surgery. Ask your vet about chemical castration first, this is an injection that acts the same as surgical castration and will give an indication of whether it will work or not. Castration can make a dog worse not better so the chemical way first is a good idea. If it doesn't work and the vet can't find any other reason for his sudden agression ask for a referral to a good behaviourist, don't find one yourself they could be fake.Good luckSome people have said it will deffinitely improve his behaviour please be careful sometimes it realy can make them worse. I know this from experience.

• im sure the vet would confirm that it would benefit him rather than be a risk.one thing to think of though..has there been any changes in household/routine/handling that may have been a cause for change in behaviou? worth thinking back as animals can become unsettled because of changes around them.