2 male dogs neutered given different doses of pain meds?

Last Friday we got our 29kg Husky X German Shepherd neutered. He was given 1 twice a day of Caprieve 20g. Today we had our 24kg Border Collie neutered and he has been given 2 twice a day of 20g of the same medicine. Why is the Border Collie given a more…

Last Friday we got our 29kg Husky X German Shepherd neutered. He was given 1 twice a day of Caprieve 20g. Today we had our 24kg Border Collie neutered and he has been given 2 twice a day of 20g of the same medicine. Why is the Border Collie given a more…...
    General Dog Discussions : 2 male dogs neutered given different doses of pain meds?...

• 2 male dogs neutered given different doses of pain meds?

2 male dogs neutered given different doses of pain meds? General Dog Discussions
      Last Friday we got our 29kg Husky X German Shepherd neutered. He was given 1 twice a day of Caprieve 20g. Today we had our 24kg Border Collie neutered and he has been given 2 twice a day of 20g of the same medicine. Why is the Border Collie given a more heavier dose whilst the Husky X given less? My mum is wondering whether or not to give the Collie his tablets yet.He's still not come round fully from the anaesthetic and most probably still on pain meds. Is the Collie safe to take these tablets?When the Collie comes off the anesthesia he will need these meds, but why is he given the higher dose, for being a lesser weight then the Husky?

2 male dogs neutered given different doses of pain meds? General Dog Discussions
    • If the vet told you to do it, then I would think that it is safe. It's a different med than the anesthesia and doesn't do the same thing. The anesthesia is to put your dogs under and the pain meds are for pain. There will be no drug interaction and I'm sure the vet wants your dogs to be on pain meds before they totally come out of the anesthesia and are in serious pain.