Has anyone actually found cats good for relieving stress?

I've read and heard that pets are good stress-relievers, is this so with cats? I can't have a dog because I'm allergic to them and wonder if a cat might be good to have.

I've read and heard that pets are good stress-relievers, is this so with cats? I can't have a dog because I'm allergic to them and wonder if a cat might be good to have....
    General Dog Discussions : Has anyone actually found cats good for relieving stress?...

• Has anyone actually found cats good for relieving stress?

Has anyone actually found cats good for relieving stress? General Dog Discussions
      I've read and heard that pets are good stress-relievers, is this so with cats? I can't have a dog because I'm allergic to them and wonder if a cat might be good to have.

Has anyone actually found cats good for relieving stress? General Dog Discussions
    • only when you chase them in your car and run them down... helps to relieve my stress... now wait till I get all these "you are so cruel" emails and comments it's humour people, humour..get it?

• I find that when I'm having a stressful day, just spending a few moments relaxing and petting my cat can be a good stress reliever. Sometimes when times are getting rough, it's a stress reliever just to know that something out there loves you completely and unconditionally no matter what.

• i have raised cats all my life but now they are outside cats,with a weak immune system now i break out in hives,if i try to keep a pet indoors,never was allergic before,never had asthma before,never was sick before,enjoy them while you have them

• Cats are wonderful for relieving stress... Just pet them for a little bit, listen to them purr, and relax. And if you get a kitten, all the better! As they say, laughter is the best medicine! Kittens are SOOO funny!

• Cats can be stress re-leavers but they also have their moments. Plus it depends on how much time you spend with it, and what type you get.My little boy is an absolute stress reliever for me, he is a great companion and certainly replaced the hole I had after my last break up.BUT!!! He does keep me awake at night when he wants to play and that makes me very aggrevated because I cant sleep. But in the morning when he looks at me and rubs up against me, I am all relieved again.So... Yes, but again it depends on time and type

• Yes i find my cat very good for relieving my stress...if Ive had a stressful day when i come home she greets me at the door, then we sit down and watch a bit of TV....she sits on my lap and shes so warm and soft, and her purring as i stroke her is really relaxing...and before you know it all my stress is gone.

• Yes,I was recently kitten sitting for a friend going on vacation, well during that 2 weeks I fell in love with two of them and in the end I kept those two. I love them to death and when I'm feeling down they make me feel so much better, just cuddling and loving on them, they rub there face on mine and purrr. I really do enjoy having them, especially after a crappy day at work and i go home and they are waiting for me at the door and follow me around until I pick them up and say hi. I love it. I'm sure will to if you deside to get a kitten.

• Yes, it makes me feel good when i am stroking my cats and they start to purr,.Cats are the best and if i am feeling low or upset, if either of them are in the house they will come over and sit on my lap

• Hi, so 2 questions here, and possibly most of the people who answer you dont have stress problems.When my cardiologist turned green, sat me down, and told me not to move, and called the nurse for medication, i knew something was wrong. I have high blood pressure, and a high pulse, all stress enduced. My stress is so high, i have stress enduced memory loss.Now working from that my cardio guy told me not to go back to work, and to get some cats, he said they were calming, he was right.I have 3 cats, indoor ones, no getting run over....They are a joy, there individual characters make my dayWhen i have a bad stressy day, and i lay in bed crying, they all come to me, and usually 2 cuddle up under the covers, and the fattest one sits on my head.They have been trouble, they have kept me awake, but the good outweighs the bad.The thought of loosing them, is too much to bear.If your going to get a cat for stress, get one from a rescue, thats over 2 years old.. 10 would be fine, the older they are.. the calmer, make sure you buy proper flea stuff from a vet, make sure you worm them, and enjoy your new friendA better way to deal with stress, is valerian root, holland and barret 450mg. Also, this root acts like kitty cat cannabis...

• All animals are good at relieving stress in humans. Another creature is the focus of your attention at the end of a bad day day at work - you can have a good rant and rave at them, and they won't answer back. They will do something 'silly' that will make you smile no matter how awful feeling.