16 hours ago my dog had a Caesarean and was spayed at the same time ,when will she start feeling better?

due to medical history (broken back) my dog had to have a Caesarean and it was agreed to have her spayed at the same time. that was 16 hours ago and as yet she hasn't bonded with the pups and is very lathargic......no problems with the pubs as we are…

16 hours ago my dog had a Caesarean and was spayed at the same time ,when will she start feeling better?

due to medical history (broken back) my dog had to have a Caesarean and it was agreed to have her spayed at the same time. that was 16 hours ago and as yet she hasn't bonded with the pups and is very lathargic......no problems with the pubs as we are…...
    General Dog Discussions : 16 hours ago my dog had a Caesarean and was spayed at the same time ,when will she start feeling better?...

• 16 hours ago my dog had a Caesarean and was spayed at the same time ,when will she start feeling better?

16 hours ago my dog had a Caesarean and was spayed at the same time ,when will she start feeling better? General Dog Discussions
      due to medical history (broken back) my dog had to have a Caesarean and it was agreed to have her spayed at the same time. that was 16 hours ago and as yet she hasn't bonded with the pups and is very lathargic......no problems with the pubs as we are feeding them with no problem, however i am concerned about the dog being so lathargic is this normal at this stage after the op?

16 hours ago my dog had a Caesarean and was spayed at the same time ,when will she start feeling better? General Dog Discussions
    • I think it could take her a day or two to fully recover from the anesthesia. That being said, she should be trying to care for her pups, etc. If you are really concerned, call your vet.

• Ahh, you dont say how old your bitch is ? or how many pups she had, It depends on the animal. Each and everyone's recovery is slightly different, just like humans. I am sure in about 48 hrs there will be a marked change for the better!! Should this NOT be the case just give your vet a ring and talk it over with him/her. make sure she drinks plenty and keep the pups around her , preferrably supervised. Good Luck.

• Wow...you should have asked your vet for details on her recovery.I had a C-section as a human and it is major surgery, you know. I was on morphine for days and in hospital for five days. Lethargic...what did your vet tell you to expect?I also got quite sick with flu after my operation, so pay close attention to her other vital signs....and please contact a vet.

• Yes, she just had major surgery with anestesia, give her time to rest. Poor baby is in alot of pain. Di d the vet give her some pain medication? You can probably give her a childrens tylenol to help ease her pain if he did not. Also you can give her some sugar water to boost her blood sugar - 2 teasp. sugar dissolved in 1/4 cup of warm water or milk, if she won't drink it, spoon some into her mouth. She needs rest. She should start coming around in 1 day. Try to give her pain meds, and keep her from licking her incision too much. Keep her warm and quiet for at least a bit longer, that was major surgery. I know - I had 3 c-sections myself. Ouch!!

• I hope I can help. Seems to me 16hrs is a short time, ur dog has been through alot. Think of it a c section and being spayed (hysterectomy) thats a whole lot. She is sore & tired, I would say in a couple of days she will be feeling alittle better. I do have a question, did the vet let ur dog go home the same day? Reason I am asking is I have both male & female dogs and cats and my vet never allowed the females to go home until the next day, surgery is much more complicated 4 the females, & r kept 4 observation & to be sure of no infection etc. If ur dog was sent home, I would call the vet u say lathargic that can just be exhaustion or she could be ill. Is she going to pottey ok, is she walking alittle, is she eating & drinking ok? if not take her back to the vet asap to be sure. Is she on any meds? antibiotics, or pain meds or a steroid med if so this could cause her being not only tired but having a total different mood, even depression. I think there is a chance she may not bond with the pups, due to the c-section, so when u see shes feeling better or after the vet makes sure all is ok. I would introduce her to the pups slowly, maybe 1 or 2 at a time, be patient this has been a hard time on your baby! I hope I could help. Happy New Year

• I have a German Shepherd who underwent a c-section in early December. After surgery was over and she came out of the anesthesia, I was allowed to bring her and her two beautiful puppies home. The first night was heartbreaking. It was very painful for her to let the puppies nurse, but she is such a good momma she let them anyway. She was a little lethargic for the first 24 hrs, but bounced back pretty fast. I will say that our vet warned me that she may not realize the puppies were hers because of the anesthesia and not whelping naturally. The morning after surgery, I called the vet and told them about her experiencing alot of pain while nursing. She was put on a very low-dose pain killer, one that would not harm the puppies, and was much more comfortable after that. One more word of advice, do not put fuzzy blankets in the area where your dog and the puppies are. I made that mistake and by the time I realized it, the fuzz from the blanket had gotten entangled with my female's staples and it was not good. Please change whatever blankets and newspapers you do have in her area everyday to help keep the area as sanitary as possible and help prevent infection of your dog's incision. Our puppies will be five weeks old on Wednesday and both them and mom are doing great. GOOD LUCK!

• If you are concerned call your vet - it doesn't cost anything to talk on the phone. A previous answer says give your dog childrens medcine. This has paracetamol in it and should NOT be given to dogs. DOgs have different needs and human medcine can KILL them!!!!! Only give meds from your vets or if your vet tells you to go and buy something otherwise you risk serious harm to your dog. Paracetamol is not safe to give to dogs!!!!!