Do you think that regular booster injections for cats and dogs are necessary?

Or are they just a way to regularly line the pockets of the Vetinary Practice? (UK)I have kept (outdoor) cats for about 15 years, some I have had immunised regularly and some not, and I've not had any problems when I haven't. What are other peples…

Or are they just a way to regularly line the pockets of the Vetinary Practice? (UK)I have kept (outdoor) cats for about 15 years, some I have had immunised regularly and some not, and I've not had any problems when I haven't. What are other peples…...
    General Dog Discussions : Do you think that regular booster injections for cats and dogs are necessary?...

• Do you think that regular booster injections for cats and dogs are necessary?

Do you think that regular booster injections for cats and dogs are necessary? General Dog Discussions
      Or are they just a way to regularly line the pockets of the Vetinary Practice? (UK)I have kept (outdoor) cats for about 15 years, some I have had immunised regularly and some not, and I've not had any problems when I haven't. What are other peples thoughts on this?My cat at the moment is a rescue cat and used to going outside before I had her, for those saying keep her indoors I think that is cruel after she has led an outdoor life for so long.To Barney: read the question, I am talking about booster injections, not the initial immunisations, the boosters are the follow up immunisations that most vets recommend you have every year, just trying to stay on topic and of course she has been initially immunised as I got her from a rescue centre.

Do you think that regular booster injections for cats and dogs are necessary? General Dog Discussions
    • My dog gets everything reccomended; I personally don't know anything about canine health but when we brought her we took on the responsibility of looking after her the best we could. And I don't want her to be ill when it is something that could have been avoided.

• my dog is due for his yearly booster next month, i will get it done cos we are putting him in kennels in august and they won't take them unles we show his medical card. I think it is another money making idea with the vets, i done't think they done it years ago.

• No will not get booster jabs done on my dogs it can cause problems as they put several medications in each injection and not all are needed yearly so you can overdose with some .... I have the first lot done , and for this very reason I will not put my dogs in kennels I have a home sitter .

• I have two cats ones 4 years old and the other is 13 years old. My 4 year old has never had a shot and never been outside and she is still full of life (to much sometimes). My 13 year old had shots when he was born and none since and he can keep up to my 4 year old. Just give them lots of love'n that 's all they need.

• My dogs are exposed to everything and old enough to be on the 3 year cycle of rabies so I only do the DHLPP every three years also. I do believe you should have the initial series when they are babies and then the first year booster but then I do them all every three.

• I had the same dilemma last October - (which was when my cat was due her annual jabs). She's had all her injections for the past 4 years since she was a kitten and as she's an indoor cat I didnt see the point of paying if she never goes outside.(Her choice by the way - whenever we try to encourage her to go out for fresh air - she ends up running back in the house!!) Maybe I'm wrong - it will be interesting to see othes views on this.

• Well.... considering they protect against all diseases, including lethal ones like Cat Flu and Leukaemia, I'd say it was absolutley necessary.Even if it may not be necessary, when it comes to my cat I take no risks.For a start, I'd never keep my cats outdoors. Secondly, if I did, I'd make sure that they were all vaccinated.You may not have had problems, but for the sake of £20 a year I'd rather know that my cat was healthy and protected from anything that could harm him.

• personally i think any animal going outside should be immunised, my cat is an indoor cat and she had her jabs when she was little but i didnt get the boosters done as she hasnt ever come into contact with other cats. but i know someone who thought the same as you, never had any problems before and one of her cats caught feline leukemia and she didnt know, he then fought with a couple of her other cats and bang 3 cats all sick and costing a heap of money at the vets for a not too positive outlook.for the sake of what the boosters cost it could save money in the long run

• yes I do believe that booster injections are important for dogs and cats.I have 3 cats, was 4.they go in cattery at times so its vital they have boosters. Injections protect the animal from all sorts of terrible diseases.Prevention is better than cure {or death).best wishes.

• I think it is important to get cats and dogs injected regularly. Not only does it build their immune systems, they usually live longer too.All my cats have booster injections. I did grow up in a house where the cats weren't given any injections,and they easily caught infections and died at an early age.So no I don't think they are a money spinner.

• I have a cat and a dog, my dog is vaccinated every year, he loves to roll around in dirty things and often picks up ticks which could lead to nasty diseases if I didn't vaccinate him.Also when we go on holiday the kennels will not take the dog if he isn't vaccinated and our pet insurance requires us to vaccinate as it won't pay out if the dog gets an illness he should have been protected against. I don't vaccinate my cat and she's 12 years old, very healthy, although she's more of a house cat and doesn't venture very far outside, when we go on holiday we have a neighbour look after her.

• I have not kept my cats vaccinations up to date. They have always had their jabs as kittens but no boosters. I like to think that they build their own resistance to most things. As tiny kittens they do have any antibodies but as they get older and go out as mine do then I think that they develop antibodies.

• My cats all had basic shots when they were younger and I stopped any vaccinations about seven years ago (cats are in their "teens" now). My cats have no risk of exposure that I fear and they are healthy without annual vaccinations. Since I don't have any dogs I don't have to comply with the law on regular rabies vacs.You might want to go to: http://www.littlebigcat.com and read Dr. Jean Hovfe's article titled "Vaccination" and also the updates on the vaccination controversies with cats that you can read in her newsletter. Also http://www.animaltalknaturally.com has discussion on vaccinations.Vets frequently justify the annual vaccinations saying that it gets people in for annual exams for their cats. My cats go every year for their "exam" and they do not receive any "jabs" (I like the way you Brits term those!)