My puppy's back toenail is slightly bent out to the side, and I'm concerned.?

I just got her today, she is a small dog and only a few months old but is extremely active. She seemed fine this afternoon, but upon bringing her out of her cage to play a bit later this evening, I noticed she slightly began to pick her back paw up off…

I just got her today, she is a small dog and only a few months old but is extremely active. She seemed fine this afternoon, but upon bringing her out of her cage to play a bit later this evening, I noticed she slightly began to pick her back paw up off…...
    General Dog Discussions : My puppy's back toenail is slightly bent out to the side, and I'm concerned.?...

• My puppy's back toenail is slightly bent out to the side, and I'm concerned.?

My puppy's back toenail is slightly bent out to the side, and I'm concerned.? General Dog Discussions
      I just got her today, she is a small dog and only a few months old but is extremely active. She seemed fine this afternoon, but upon bringing her out of her cage to play a bit later this evening, I noticed she slightly began to pick her back paw up off the ground when standing and didnt seem to want to put much weight on it while walking. When i handled the paw she didnt even flinch or make a sound, but her toenail is bent slightly out to the side. There is no bleeding or injured tissue on her foot (as far as i can see upon a close exam). I havent seen her try to lick it or anything. I know many pet owners get unnecessarily scared over a lot of minor things at first, but then again, she is really young. Should i take her to the vet, or could possibly just trimming the nail and wrapping it be sufficient or safe to try first?

My puppy's back toenail is slightly bent out to the side, and I'm concerned.? General Dog Discussions
    • I would say safety first if it were my dog. I would take her to the vet. If her nails are too long that could cause the nail to stick out to the side when she is standing on it but, if her nail is like that all of the time, I would see the vet because, if she caught it on something and ripped it off, it would be very painful. I don't know how far off to the side it is but, I would find out if it's a defect or something minor like her nail is just too long.