How do I treat a dog's split toenail?

Recently my dog has been limping and licking her front right paw. I looked at the nail and noticed that it was filed down too much/split so I can imagine how tender it is to her. She runs alot in the yard and chases our chickens, so I figure she ran a…

Recently my dog has been limping and licking her front right paw. I looked at the nail and noticed that it was filed down too much/split so I can imagine how tender it is to her. She runs alot in the yard and chases our chickens, so I figure she ran a…...
    General Dog Discussions : How do I treat a dog's split toenail?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How do I treat a dog's split toenail?

How do I treat a dog's split toenail? General Dog Discussions
      Recently my dog has been limping and licking her front right paw. I looked at the nail and noticed that it was filed down too much/split so I can imagine how tender it is to her. She runs alot in the yard and chases our chickens, so I figure she ran a little too much and happened to hurt her paw.Are there any remedies for healing a split toenail faster? I hate to see her limping even though she's playing and acting normal and doesn't seem to be in any pain.

How do I treat a dog's split toenail? General Dog Discussions
    • Honestly you should bring her to your vet and have them trim the nail all the way back where it is split. It will hurt and the nail will bleed, but that is the proper way to go about 'fixing' the problem.