Care and items needed to raise a guinea pig?

I'm moving soon and would like to own two guinea pigs. I have a basic idea of what they need , but I'd like specifics.What kind of habitat is best, what food is best, what toys do they need, any thing else would be helpful too. Also, how much are the…

I'm moving soon and would like to own two guinea pigs. I have a basic idea of what they need , but I'd like specifics.What kind of habitat is best, what food is best, what toys do they need, any thing else would be helpful too. Also, how much are the…...
    General Dog Discussions : Care and items needed to raise a guinea pig?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Care and items needed to raise a guinea pig?

Care and items needed to raise a guinea pig? General Dog Discussions
      I'm moving soon and would like to own two guinea pigs. I have a basic idea of what they need , but I'd like specifics.What kind of habitat is best, what food is best, what toys do they need, any thing else would be helpful too. Also, how much are the initial costs for buying guinea pig supplies?How often are vet visits needed?Here are some cages I found.Do they look appropriatley sized?http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752701http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3076906http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753342http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3159652(favorite)http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753256my heart melts whenever i see a guinea pig and my boyfriend would also like to help take care of them too. <333

Care and items needed to raise a guinea pig? General Dog Discussions
    • The best kind of habitat is a horizontal sold at most pet stores. The best kind of food is Nutriphase which is also sold at most pet stores if you can't find Nutriphase find a pellet food with added vitamin c. They generally don't need toys just some thing to chew on even a toilet paper roll. For more information check out my site www.piggeycare.webs.com. Vet vist's are yearly unless you think something is wrong. It all depends on the brand how much they cost.

• Help kinda bounces around and is in no particular order because I wrote them down as I thought of themIt might be nice for your guinea pig to be outside every once and awile [if your grass is right, says somewhere down there] In the summer they love it but shade must be provided.Also if it dosn't finish it's food every day it is being over-fed, guinea pigs like schedules, so try to feed it around the same time every day. you don't need food with extra Vitamin C IF you feed them fresh foods every day[w/ Vitamin C]Grooming Guinea pigs with a soft brisle brush increases their health. although they eat alot they know when their full, their kind of like humains if you lift then up and there a bulges on their sides, their slightly overweight [which is their goal because males go for the fat girls] You should give you guniea pig a bath but not much just on occasion, I usually give mine one around every month.If your Cavies [guinea pigs] are bright and active, ears are clean, nose is clean, and eyes arn't crusty then it should be very healthy. You have to clip their toenails when they start getting long with a smaller dog nail clippers [never with siccors].. Also keep a block of pine wood in there because their teeth never stop growing and they need to keep them short. Pine shavings are best [and pine wood] but NEVER get cedar shavings.Recently I've had a my oldest pig start accually eating herslelf [out of bordem because I wasn't always home] so you might want to make some home made toys, you could stick some grass in a toilet paper tube so it gives them a challenge and it takes longer for them to get it out [but make sure you don't use fertilizer on the grass you pick and they can't be lawn shavings, grass is good for them but weeds are not] you could also get a mineral or salt weel for pigs [I usually call my guinea pigs, pigs] also try not to put any "shiney" paper in there [like with the laminate seal over it]I clean my guinea pig's cage about every week [I have a 5 week old one and a 14 month old one] It's best if you clean their water bottle about every 1-2 days also, I usually feed them a carrot every morning, but make sure you feed them awile after you would get up because once they get in a habbit they will start squeeking for a carrot or other treatFor Hay If he's under a year feed him alfalfa, and if hes over a year feed him Timothy [if you would want to feed him hay]If you buy a cage new [from a pet store] it can cost you over 100$ and If you buy one from your local farm store it can cost you around 60$ (U.S.A money) but I went online to buy my guniea pig from a breeder [no, it was not shipped lol] and it costed around 36$ for a cage, the guinea pig, water bottle, some food and a LOT of knowlageI usually don't go to the vet for guinea pigs, because I have some medicane at home...reasoning [once I took a guinea pig to the vet and they gave it something , this was when I first started out with guinea pigs, and it died an hour later] so if you must go to the vet go to one that specilizes in rodents and small animals.This is a list of what "humanish" foods you can give them*Artichokes and their leaves *Beetroot *Broccoli *Cabbage *Carrots *Cauliflower [especially the green leaves and stem] *Celeriac *Celery *Chicory leaves *Cucumber *Fodder beet *Green Beans [and bean plants if you have your own] *Kale *Kohlrabi *Lettuce [especially green, leafy types, but not to much as it contains laudanum, which is a sedative, the best type is romain lettuce] *Mangel-wurzel *Parsley *Peas *Spinach *Swede [although not like by most guinea pigs] *Sweetcorn *Sweet peppers *Turnip *Tomato *Young shoots of apple and pear trees *Apple *Banana *Kiwi fruit *Pear *Melon *Strawberries *Raspberries *Some also like OrangesFoods rich in vitaminC should be fed dailyHope this helps oh if you need anymore info e-mail me, i'll be happy to help

• most everything has been covered already but one thing they really like is an old oatmeal container or pringles can, although the pringles can has the foil on the inside so that would be a bad idea but the oatmeal tube they can run through and play in and also chew on it. mine loved hers! or an old Kleenex box to. they like to have things to climb on or hide in

• Thoes cages seem pretty small and really pricy, I would go onto craigslist and go to you city and type in cage and you can find big cages for a goof price instead of a pricy one. you can always clean it out well, you can also try on ebay alswell.