Do I need to have my Dogs teeth cleaned or is it just a way for the Vet to make money?

My dog is a rat terrier mix and she is about two years old.

Do I need to have my Dogs teeth cleaned or is it just a way for the Vet to make money?

My dog is a rat terrier mix and she is about two years old....
    General Dog Discussions : Do I need to have my Dogs teeth cleaned or is it just a way for the Vet to make money?...

• Dogs do need to have their teeth professionally cleaned to prevent dental decay, gum disease, other health problems, not to mention wretched doggie breath everyone hates. Small dogs such as rat terirers seem especially prone to dental disease. Chew toys and brushing help but don't take the place of cleaning. It's expensive and a pain I know, but it really does need to be done every 1-2 years.

• That really depends on how bad the dogs teeth really are. Dentals are more common in older dogs, but younger dogs will need dentals if their teeth haven't been taken care of very well. I will say that I don't think your vet would have recommended a dental if your dog didn't really need it. Dentals can really help the dog feel better if it's teeth/mouth is in pain. If you're really worried that your vet is trying to con you into making spending money, then you could always go to another vet for a second opinion, but you'll have to pay for an office call.

• I'd suggest a simple routine of brushing your dogs teeth yourself after every bath and go to the vet to have her teeth cleaned at least once a year. Your brushing will help keep her teeth healthy, but the vet can really take a look and make sure everything is in top shape!!

• If your dogs teeth are really that bad, then yes, he should probably go to the vet for a dental. But if they aren't too bad, then you could clean them yourself. They sell kits at petstores with a toothbrush and doggy toothpaste and you can just brush their teeth like you would a humans. Cleaning your dogs teeth is important to prevent gum disease and tartar build up.

• One thing i am not seeing in the answers is a cleaning recommendation for amount of time between cleanings. I recommend every 2-3 years for a vet cleaning, and at least a weekly teeth brushing by you. Also the dental bones are good every couple weeks or as directed on the packaging. Many dogs get cavities and will loose teeth, it also will cause them discomfort and they will have really bad breath. Pulling teeth can be more expensive then preventing the teeth problems. Also, a lot of people think they need to feed little dogs soft food all the time because they are little dogs, not true, small kibble if fine for them, soft food leaves more sediment behind, and causes the need of brushing and vet visits to increase. With the food staying on the teeth the cavities are more likely to appear sooner.

• Yes! It is very important to get your dog's teeth cleaned. My dog gets hers cleaned about once a year, and it makes her breath fresher. If you don't want to pay money to have your vet clean your dog's teeth, try greenies! they really work!

• First off nothing but dental scaling will remove existing built up tarter from teeth, brushing at this point will do nothing to helpHow frequently and how often will vary from one dog to another, and has to do with genetics, some dogs will have very dense thickly enamel teeth that food has a hard time sticking to so they do not get tartar build up easily, and can often go years without needing a cleaning Others will have very porous teeth and when looked at under a microscrope will look like a sponge with lots of holes, food particles build up into holes and form into tarter which created a base for tarter to build up on the tooths surface, cleaning/scaling can get rid of what is on the surface but not what is in those tiny holes and they will again allow new tartar formation to grow easily again. So your dog may be the second example with is why a dental is needed so early, after the teeth is cleaned if you do not want to be paying for yearly cleaning you will have to be extremely pro active in brushing, food on the teeth with turn into tarter within 48 hours and once it turns into tarter cannot be brushed off, so that means it is necessary to brush the dogs teeth every day to try and prevent the tarter from forming on the outside of the teeth and creating pockets where bacteria can form, which then leads to gum disease.As others mentioned bad teeth can lead to bacteria getting into the bloodstream which can damage organs such as the heart, so keeping the teeth clean is important

• If you don't get your dogs teeth cleaned regularly tarter will build up and decay will happen and infection may get into the blood stream which causes most heart disease in dogs and cats. So to answer your question it is not just a way for a vet to make more money.It can save you money in the long run and can add years to your pets life.

• That's a great question.I have always given my dogs raw bones, and the vet has always commented on what great shape their teeth were in.I do think teeth condition does depend on the overall health of the dog, and most importantly the diet.I am abit leery of the whole "Brush your dogs teeth everyday" thing. There is overkill. and I rather doubt everyone I know is going to wrestle their Shepherds down twice a day to brush!

• Dogs teeth are just like our teeth, when tar tar and plaque build up they need to be cleaned before tooth decay/loss and periodontal disease becomes an issue. Also good dental hygiene for your pet is important as dirty teeth contribute to other health issues in your pet. Good Luck.