Do I need to have my Dogs teeth cleaned or is it just a way for the Vet to make money?

My dog is a rat terrier mix and she is about two years old.

Do I need to have my Dogs teeth cleaned or is it just a way for the Vet to make money?

My dog is a rat terrier mix and she is about two years old....
    General Dog Discussions : Do I need to have my Dogs teeth cleaned or is it just a way for the Vet to make money?...

• Do I need to have my Dogs teeth cleaned or is it just a way for the Vet to make money?

Do I need to have my Dogs teeth cleaned or is it just a way for the Vet to make money? General Dog Discussions
      My dog is a rat terrier mix and she is about two years old.

Do I need to have my Dogs teeth cleaned or is it just a way for the Vet to make money? General Dog Discussions
    • Dental hygiene is just as important for your dog as it is for you. The mouth harbors a lot of germs, and a gum infection can spread through the entire body. If it gets into the blood stream, it can affect the heart. So, the answer is, YES, have your dog's teeth cleaned.

• Just as in humans, poor care of your teeth can in fact lead to death. They sell toothbrushes and dog toothpaste at your local pet supply store. You should really brush his teeth everyday, just like you do yours. Also just like you, your dog should go to the dentist (the vet), every so often, at least every year.

• it's better for the dog than the vet. they get gingivitis and decay like we do. I use an old brush on my dog and it' s a game, so at least we try! the vet will do a great job and no bad breath either! start now and later will be e-z

• You should have your dogs teeth cleaned but you do not have to pay all that money to the vet. There is toothpaste and toothbrushes for dogs. They will probably work just as good as the vet does it. Most dogs actually like having their teeth cleaned. Maybe your dog will to. My dog loves that vanilla flavoured one!

• May depend on the breed. My small chihuahuas have horrible teeth, and they need to be cleaned every couple of years. It had been a few years since my 14 year old chihuahua had his teeth cleaned, and a few weeks ago he had an infected tooth, and they all had to be cleaned again, and the tooth removed. At his age, I try to balance the need for cleaning with the risk of the anesthetic. But I have a large hound dog and a lab, and neither of them have ever needed their teeth cleaned. Bottom line, if your dog has brown plaque on his teeth and his breath smells, then have them cleaned. It should cost about $100 or less.

• Dogs need dental care, just like people do. They can get cavities and tartar buildup. In the wild, it's not an issue, because they don't live very long, but since we prolong their lifespans, we have to take care of their teeth so they won't cause problems later in their life. Ask your vet to show you how to clean your dog's teeth yourself. It's not hard. You just need to let the dog know that you're the boss and this is what you're doing so they can just deal with it.

• If you keep up regularly and frequently with at-home tooth care (brushing the pup's teeth with approved products made for dogs), you probably won't need a vet cleaning for many more years. However, if your dog is having a lot of tartar build-up on his teeth then yes, you should have his teeth professionally scaled by your vet. Poor oral health can lead to not only Periodontal disease in your dog, but also can contribute to problems with his liver, heart, kidneys, even his lungs! Good luck!PS - toothbrushing (that you do at home, or the groomer can do) is totally different from what your vet does. Your vet scales the tartar off the teeth, while toothbrushing only cleans minimally and is more of a preventative measure. In fact, brushing a dog's teeth when there is a large amount of hardened tartar present can actually be dangerous for your dog! I'd have the dog's teeth professionally scaled by your vet, and afterwards just start brushing them more regularly at home to prevent dental problems in the future.

• At two, she probably doesn't need her teeth cleaned. Feed her dry dog food and give her lots of chew toys. It is usually older dogs that get bad teeth, then it is NOT just another money maker for the vet. It is very necessary, just as it is necessary for people to have dental work done occasionally.

• Unfortunately, it is a way for a Vet to make money (my wife is a Vet Tech so she knows). However, once every three years is a good idea if you notice that their teeth are a little crusty. There are some nice dog treats out there that can help keep you terriers teeth in good order. Just do that!

• You should do it yourself at least once a week or two with a q-tip or a VERY soft brush. (hairbased or vinyl painter's brushes work well, or the soft end of a dish sponge) Be very gentle on her gums, but make sure to scrub them as well. She won't like it at first, but she'd certainly prefer that you did it and not some stranger. Talk to her the whole time gently and tell her what a good girl she is, giving her a good healthy milkbone or biscuit based treat afterward that's designed for tartar control.They also make toothpaste for dogs that tastes more like meat, but minty fresh works too. Dogs eat practically anything.Also, keep her on dry dog food. The wet stuff is bad for pups and gunks up their teeth too much. There are many tartar control versions out there.

• Yes in deed you need your dog's teeth cleaned. For the dog's mouth should be clean or else gum inflammation may occur. Your pet's mouth may cause bleeding or severe gum damage. Also make sure your dog is eating a healthy meal every day to ensure you on keeping your dog as healthy as possible.Good luck :]~Kit