Is it normal for a vet to prescribe Tramadol for a respiratory infection?

I took my dog to the vet on Monday (2-11-13) for a small cough, he/vet said it was a small respiratory infection and prescribed her Tramadol for her cough. To me that didn't sound right because I have been to school for veterinary technology and knew…

I took my dog to the vet on Monday (2-11-13) for a small cough, he/vet said it was a small respiratory infection and prescribed her Tramadol for her cough. To me that didn't sound right because I have been to school for veterinary technology and knew…...
    General Dog Discussions : Is it normal for a vet to prescribe Tramadol for a respiratory infection?...

• Is it normal for a vet to prescribe Tramadol for a respiratory infection?

Is it normal for a vet to prescribe Tramadol for a respiratory infection? General Dog Discussions
      I took my dog to the vet on Monday (2-11-13) for a small cough, he/vet said it was a small respiratory infection and prescribed her Tramadol for her cough. To me that didn't sound right because I have been to school for veterinary technology and knew tramadol was a pain reliever, but I decided I wouldn't question him and started the meds. Here I am 3 days later and she is still coughing and has gotten very depressed, so I stopped the meds this morning.I plan on calling in the morn but thought I would ask on here if anyone else has ever been prescribed tramadol for a cough? Either dog or human.I am a little hesitant to take her back to the vet, because I got her on new years day Jan 1, 2013 not in very good health. She's been to the vet 3 times since I have had her and have already spent close to $500 just in vet bills.

Is it normal for a vet to prescribe Tramadol for a respiratory infection? General Dog Discussions
    • Tramadol does have cough suppressing properties, and can be prescribed for a cough. If it didn't help, talk to the vet. They may prescribe an alternative, or may just advise to wait the cough out if its not too bad and doesn't worsen.

• I'm wondering if the poor little thing came from one of those unscrupulous puppy farms and if that is the case I'm afraid it's going to cost you a lot more before she's right. In answer to your question no, I have never heard of Tramadol given for a chest infection in a human let alone a dog! As you say Tramadol is a human painkiller - if anything I would have thought steroids would be more likely for a chest infection!I hope you get her sorted out soon and I'm so glad she has a caring owner! Good luck!