Is there a surgery that can be done on dogs to remove their ability to bark?

I live in a safe neigborhood, the dog is always in doors, i can think of no reason the dog should bark... It always barks and is now just plain out annoying it is so often, is their a surgery the vet can perform to silence the voicebox if you will, of a…

Is there a surgery that can be done on dogs to remove their ability to bark?

I live in a safe neigborhood, the dog is always in doors, i can think of no reason the dog should bark... It always barks and is now just plain out annoying it is so often, is their a surgery the vet can perform to silence the voicebox if you will, of a…...
    General Dog Discussions : Is there a surgery that can be done on dogs to remove their ability to bark?...

• Yes- talk to your vet about it. It's creepy to hear, but lots of eskies have it done for some reason.

• Yes it's called debarking but I would never do this. I think it's cruel and you should try training your dog or getting a professional trainer to decrease the barking. Trust me..you can train your dog to bark less. It just takes time and energy. Don't look for a quick fix.

• You should get him trained! Most vets will not perform this surgery , but some do! I think it is quite cruel that U would get his vocal cords cut out because his barking is annoying to U! One of the main reasons that a dog barks when they are not barking at a noise or another animal is boredom, usually from the lack of exercise and mental stimulation. Talk to ur vet about training and see if it will help:) i wouldnt do this but U could also get him a muzzle?

• Its called debarking and it will not silence your dog 100% all it will do is lower the pitch/tone of your dogs voice. You are better of training and exercising your dog than jumping straight to the method of last resort.

• There is a surgery that can be done. It is extremely cruel and very expensive (not expensive enough) and is not even legal in several states. Your dog would do better with some training. I am attaching a link to a sight that explains the surgery.I am attaching a second link regarding ways to safely and effectively stop your dog from barking. Please read them both!

• You can have them de-barked but its VERY cruel!! How would you feel if someone you knew thought you were annoying and took you in and had your voicebox removed?There are other ways of training your dog on barking than having their throats cut out!

• Yes its called debarking but this is extremely cruel and should not be done. In fact there are some places I think where it’s illegal. How would you like it if someone just took your ability to talk away? If your dog has barking issues then there are more humane methods to get it under control please seek the help and advise of either a dog trainer or dog behaviorist. Most dogs bark for a reason sometimes it has to do with them being bored ,wanting attention, when they are left alone, bark at noise that they hear etc.You say your dog is always indoors so the dog never goes outside? You never take the dog for walks? If that is the case no wonder its barking all the time. How would you like it if someone wouldn’t ever let you out of your house. Perhaps you should find a new home for your pet to someone who realizes dogs bark and if you don’t like barking then obviously a dog is not the right pet why not get a goldfish they are nice and quit