Is there a surgery that can be done on dogs to remove their ability to bark?

I live in a safe neigborhood, the dog is always in doors, i can think of no reason the dog should bark... It always barks and is now just plain out annoying it is so often, is their a surgery the vet can perform to silence the voicebox if you will, of a…

I live in a safe neigborhood, the dog is always in doors, i can think of no reason the dog should bark... It always barks and is now just plain out annoying it is so often, is their a surgery the vet can perform to silence the voicebox if you will, of a…...
    General Dog Discussions : Is there a surgery that can be done on dogs to remove their ability to bark?...

• Is there a surgery that can be done on dogs to remove their ability to bark?

Is there a surgery that can be done on dogs to remove their ability to bark? General Dog Discussions
      I live in a safe neigborhood, the dog is always in doors, i can think of no reason the dog should bark... It always barks and is now just plain out annoying it is so often, is their a surgery the vet can perform to silence the voicebox if you will, of a dog? Also cost if possible? Or any homeade remedies or other ways to silence their barking?

Is there a surgery that can be done on dogs to remove their ability to bark? General Dog Discussions
    • is there a surgery that you can have that would prevent you from animal cruelty? how would you feel if someone took away your ability to communicate because they found it annoying. either get used to it or find the dog a BETTER home

• One of the main reasons that a dog barks when they are not barking at a noise or another animal is boredom, usually from the lack of exercise and mental stimulation.As far as a surgery... that is just plain cruel and unnecessary.

• Debarking (surgical scarification of the vocal chords) should be a last option - after all training options have been eliminated.Please consult with a behavioral training consultant who will assist you in finding the best training option for your dog.I haven't had to debark a dog in over 10 years and have no idea what the price is now.Edit: Of course you'll get a lot of people whining about how cruel debarking is....apparently they find debarking more cruel than pulling a dog out of a loving home and dumping it in a shelter when training doesn't work. Not ALL dogs can be trained not to bark.

• To answer your question, yes, there is, but it's very controversial. Unless your dog is a *real* nuisance you can train him not to bark, not resort to surgery. Consult a trainer.

• THAT IS CRUEL !!!!!!!! NO THERE ISNT A SURGERY TO MAKE YOUR DOG SILENT. WHO WOULD EVEN THINK ABOUT DOING SOMETHING LIKE THIS. WHEN YOU GOT A DOG YOU KNEW IT WAS GOING TO BARK SO WHY DID YOU GET ONE IF YOU WERE GOING TO BE ANNOYED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOW WOULD YOU LIKE IT IF YOU COULDN'T TALK?????? THATS JUST PLAIN OUT CRUEL. WHY WOULD YOU THINK ABOUT DOING SOMETHING LIKE THIS???

• Everyone knows that dogs bark. Although a constantly barking dog can become quite a nuisance, there is usually a reason for the endless barking. With so many safe anti-barking products on the market, there is absolutely no excuse to resort to inhumane methods. In addition to causing your dog unneeded pain, these types of inhumane bark control methods can lead to serious behavioral problems. Once a dog has been debarked, he is unable to communicate properly with you or other dogs. Both veterinarians and professional dog trainers agree that the best way to prevent unwanted barking is through training.

• I know a woman who was moving to an area where the dog's barking would bother the neighbors. She didn't want to get rid of the dog, so she had his vocal chords removed. He still makes noise, it's just more of a rasping than barking. I do not remember the cost. Your first step might be to find what is stimulating the dog to bark and then remove that stimulus? You can also try some aromatherapy products out there that get animals to relax.

• yes there is a surgery like that but why would you want your dog to have it. that is like taking away our voice and you havent even tried to train it yet!!! but if you want some advice on training it, if it barks, then you can put a muzzle on it.