A dog that is believed it have had a tick and now has an open wound, how do we treat it?

I've just been given a dog to look after for a month, now this dog is 7 years old and has infection in its ears. After looking at the infection we believe theres been a tick there and the dog has had no proper treatment as the wound it circular and is…

A dog that is believed it have had a tick and now has an open wound, how do we treat it?

I've just been given a dog to look after for a month, now this dog is 7 years old and has infection in its ears. After looking at the infection we believe theres been a tick there and the dog has had no proper treatment as the wound it circular and is…...
    General Dog Discussions : A dog that is believed it have had a tick and now has an open wound, how do we treat it?...

• A dog that is believed it have had a tick and now has an open wound, how do we treat it?

A dog that is believed it have had a tick and now has an open wound, how do we treat it? General Dog Discussions
      I've just been given a dog to look after for a month, now this dog is 7 years old and has infection in its ears. After looking at the infection we believe theres been a tick there and the dog has had no proper treatment as the wound it circular and is open. This is also causing the dog to scratch its ears from irritation we believe. Is this a tick wound and what can we do to help it heal?

A dog that is believed it have had a tick and now has an open wound, how do we treat it? General Dog Discussions
    • My first suggestion would be to contact a vet and get an opinion. it could be a bite of some kind but not being able to see it i can not say for sure. If the wound is draining and smells bad it is probably infected and may need medical treatment if it is not draining or smelling bad neosporine or a similar antibiotic cream may help. I realize this is not your dog did the owner leave you a vet contact? if so call that vet. If not call your friend and ask them what they want done. If they say nothing then you must do what you think is right but leaving it untreated does not seem like a good option.

• Ear infections are a common problem for dogs. Consequently, ear mites are often a problem that accompany an infected ear. The two most common infections are otitis externa, infection of the ear canal, and otitis media, the infection of the middle ear. The cause of the ear canal infection, is most commonly bacterial or yeast related. It can also be a result of wax build up, thick or matted hair in the canal, debris, impaired drainage of the ear, mite infestations are a secondary result of another bodily infection. Otitis media, an infection of the middle ear, is a common result of the spread of an infection from the ear canal, where debris, ulceration, or improper cleaning ruptures the eardrum moving the infection into the middle ear. The discomfort your dog or cat experiences from an ear infection is often displayed in shaking his/her head or scratching of the ears. Often the infection causes red and inflamed ears with an offensive odor and perhaps some yellow/black discharge. If discomfort is observed and the dog often tilts his/her head this may be a sign of an infection of the middle ear. When dogs have repeat ear infections it's often because of underlying allergies. Here's the deal: Either flea allergies, food allergies, bacterial allergies,or inhalant allergies (also known as atopy) ...or any combination of these allergies irritate the mast cells that are concentrated in the canals of the dog's ears. You have to determine what ear infection the dog has to treat it properly. Since you have no experienced this before, it is best to have a vet check it out. It can be as simple as an ear cleaner or some vinegar/water mix to as complicated as flushing the ear and giving the dog medication. Consult a vet.