Can Giardia live in dried fecal matter? Can a dog reinfect if it licks the dried fecal matter on fur?

Dogs at shelter have dried fecal matter in hair. Also is a huge outbreak of giardia. If they lick themselves after several days with dried fecal matter on fur, will they reinfect themselves?if you have a link or resource to back your answer that would be…

Can Giardia live in dried fecal matter? Can a dog reinfect if it licks the dried fecal matter on fur?

Dogs at shelter have dried fecal matter in hair. Also is a huge outbreak of giardia. If they lick themselves after several days with dried fecal matter on fur, will they reinfect themselves?if you have a link or resource to back your answer that would be…...
    General Dog Discussions : Can Giardia live in dried fecal matter? Can a dog reinfect if it licks the dried fecal matter on fur?...

• Can Giardia live in dried fecal matter? Can a dog reinfect if it licks the dried fecal matter on fur?

Can Giardia live in dried fecal matter? Can a dog reinfect if it licks the dried fecal matter on fur? General Dog Discussions
      Dogs at shelter have dried fecal matter in hair. Also is a huge outbreak of giardia. If they lick themselves after several days with dried fecal matter on fur, will they reinfect themselves?if you have a link or resource to back your answer that would be helpful!I didn't see anything on the sites you listed that concluded that giardia lasts in dried feces, I see no mention of that. If I am missing it, please point it out to me.

Can Giardia live in dried fecal matter? Can a dog reinfect if it licks the dried fecal matter on fur? General Dog Discussions
    • They can easily reinfect themselves. The giardia cyst can live for months in moist fecal matter and days or even weeks in dried fecal matter, and the dogs are guaranteed to lick themselves and each other. Bathe them all in a good anti-flea and tick shampoo, which will also help to kill the giardia parasite. For treatment, refer to your vet, as there are many different strains of giardia and the appropriate drug must be used.