how can I reduce my dogs fever?

My dog has reacurring fevers. The vet gave me metacam for home.I gave him his last dose tonight. Is there anything I can give him ordo for him to reduce his fever?

My dog has reacurring fevers. The vet gave me metacam for home.I gave him his last dose tonight. Is there anything I can give him ordo for him to reduce his fever?...
    General Dog Discussions : how can I reduce my dogs fever?...

• how can I reduce my dogs fever?

how can I reduce my dogs fever? General Dog Discussions
      My dog has reacurring fevers. The vet gave me metacam for home.I gave him his last dose tonight. Is there anything I can give him ordo for him to reduce his fever?

how can I reduce my dogs fever? General Dog Discussions
    • well you have already seen the vet.. and what they recommended is not working.. so time for a follow up..seems like some more testing may be in order or at the very least trying somthing else..Have you actually taken his temp to determine he has a fever? dogs normal body temp is as high as 102.5.. so they often feel hot to the touch.. Fever can be from pain, infection.. or sometimes cancer.. so it would be well recommended you work with your vet to fidugre out the cause..By the way.. Metacam is a very good Pain medication, and can reduce fever due to inflamation.. it is a NSAID type drug... so one CANNOT MIX other medications of the same type.. this includes asprin.. advil or tylenol.. because one.. dogs do not tolorate these other drugs very well.. and two combination of two NSAID type drugs can cause a severe drug reaction, ulcers, kidney and liver problems..DO not do it..Follow up with your vet..Amanda

• This needs treatment by your vet. What is causing this? Fever indicates infection, so if this isn't being stopped, you need further treatment/second opinion!!? Metacam is only for pain relief (which could cause a rise in temperature) but what's going on here?PS Normal temperature for a dog is 101F - a slight rise to around 102 can be caused by stress (even just a vet visit) and isn't a cause for undue concern. Anything over 102 indicates a more serious problem and needs veterinary treatment.