My dog just died this morning and I have a couple questions.?

First, how do you deal with this? I knew it was coming soon because the vet said his condition was going to get him soon (heart murmur and kidneys failing). I thought I was prepared. I put him in a box, had my morning cereal, and read the paper like any…

My dog just died this morning and I have a couple questions.?

First, how do you deal with this? I knew it was coming soon because the vet said his condition was going to get him soon (heart murmur and kidneys failing). I thought I was prepared. I put him in a box, had my morning cereal, and read the paper like any…...
    General Dog Discussions : My dog just died this morning and I have a couple questions.?...

• hey huni, really sorry, but the truth is, the way to deal with it is to let yourself grieve your way. loosing loved pets really is horrible no matter what a lot of people think, mainly those who don't have pets. my dog died last year, and I just cried all day, I went to school and sat in a room with my best friend all day crying, that was my way of dealing with it. And I gotta say it helped, if you you just put something to the back of your mind and try to forget about it and how terrible it is, it'll just hit you 10 times worse later, so if a good cry is what you need, then sob away, just forget about all those stupid little things you think you have to do and take time out to be by ourself, or maybe with your sheep dog. Really sorry for your loss, I know you don't believe me now, but you will feel better, I promise. xx

• *big hug* I don't think there's any easy answer to this. He was your friend and companion for 13 years and he sounds like he was a wonderful dog. In time you'll hurt less, and spending time with your sheepdog will help both of you deal with your grief. Don't feel like you have to be in a hurry to move on. Sit with your sheepdog, go for long walks with her, it may sound a little crazy but talk to her, talkj about your old friend who's now gone, honour his life and remanice about all the wonderful times you had together. In my life I've said goodbye to two wonderful dogs. I miss them both still, When the dog i grew up with died at 15 yrs old my family thought we'd never have another, circumstances led to us taking in a relatives dog. He won his way into our hearts and when he passed a couple of years ago we faced that same sadness, but I can look back now and remember them both with love, affection and i sometimes find myself smiling at fond memories of them. I don't have a dog right now, I live in a small apt and it's not practical, but those two friends and my memories of them will always be with me.Best wishes. I feel for you.

• You are greiving. It is normal. Give yourself permission to cry as much as you want and to feel the sadness of your loss.Give your sheepdog extra attention. If she was there when he died or sniffed the body, she knows he is gone. She may be acting confused because of your behavior. Give her extra attenton and some nice long walks. You have my sympathy.

• I know it sucks.... its horrible. I am dreading it for all my current pets, even just thinking about it brings me to tears. The worst part is when you put them in the ground, it just seems so wrong to throw dirt over someone you loved so much and spent every day with... I can tell you the pain will fade with time but it will never go away completely... you will cry you will miss them when something reminds you of things they used to do it will bring a tear to your eye forever after. The bets thing to do is put all your energy into spending the time you have with your other dog, she needs you I am sure she misses him too. I also suggest you do something in his memory it really really helps.. you could volunteer at a shelter, foster some dogs that need love until they can find a home, donate money time or love to other animals at the pound in memory of your dog. You could become a volunteer at the shelter and walk the dogs anything that would be a tribute to dogs just like him who are sitting at the pound/shelter waiting to find a forever home where they can get the same kind of love you gave to your dog. It will make you feel better in a way you will be bringing joy to dogs who didnt know the kind of life your dog had, and that is something that will in a way give back to your dog what he gave to you... all the love and companionship he had from you is still there for you to give, and there are dogs out there who desperately need it.

• You need to get another dog, not to replace the first one, but to be part of your "pack". The sheepdog needs another dog around for it to feel normal. You need another dog to take your mind off of your best buddy. Go to the pound and pick out a dog that needs a home and you will feel even better. Make sure you grieve so you have closure, but think of all the good memories you have left. Losing a pet is very difficult, but never having a pet in your life is even worse.

• Your dog is sleeping now, and is out of it's pain now be thankful for that, right now your sheep dog needs you, let him sit by your side, he is grieving too. I would suggest that you and sheep go for a walk, some place you haven't been before, and my guess is be thankfull you two still have each other. Your pain will not linger if you are happy for that sick pet being out of pain now. Who know another will come along, there are so many pets that don't have a good home, or a home at all. comfort each other for now. God Bless

• I'm so very sorry for your loss. Give yourself a little time to grieve, then check out the local animal shelters (maybe take your sheep dog with you) and look for a dog that is in need of your love and companionship. You can never replace a pet, but you can save a pets life and gain a new relationship that may be just as great as your last one. Just make sure your current dog is agreeable to the new addition. Good luck and I'll be praying for you. I'm so sorry.

• First of all...I am so sorry. I had to put my dog to sleep in January, so I know how hard this is for you.I also have another dog who grieved. They get through it a lot sooner than we do. Give her a little extra attention, and get new sleeping items (doggie beds, blankets, etc.) to remove the smell of the other pet.I still have days where I cry when I think of him.A friend told me something when it happened that is so true....you will never forget, but it will get easier. Just remember the good times that you had, and that it's ok to cry. Our pets become members of our family, and when mine went it was like losing a child.

• You have my condolences. It is never easy to loose a pet, even if you are expecting it. Everyone deals with loss differently. What you are experiencing is normal. Death, especially the death of a long-time companion, never seems real at first. And knowing that it's coming doesn't really make it easier than when it comes out of the blue. It may change the grieving process slightly (often people who have lost a loved one to a long-time terminal illness have started their grieving well before the actual death), but it doesn't make it easier. And the death of a dog is no less a loss than the death of any other close friend. People often tell themselves, "it's just a dog." But deep down they know better. He wasn't "just a dog," he was your constant companion, your confidant, your friend, for 13 long years and for him to suddenly no longer be there, even if you knew that it was inevitable, is very hard emotionally. It's ok to cry.Everyone deals with the loss of a pet differently. For some people, it helps to create some sort of memorial or tribute to their pet. If you have a hobby like gardening, or scrapbooking you could plant a garden or a tree in his memory or create a special memory album. For some people, just looking through old photos and remembering some of the memorable events (good AND not-so-good) helps a lot. Some people donate to a rescue or animal welfare organization in their pet's name (kind of like how sometimes people will donate to a charity or medical research that their deceased family or friend supported to honor their memory). It is also normal for your other dog to mourn the loss of her friend. She may be confused about why he is no longer around and she may look for him for a while. There is some debate as to how well dogs understand death, if they do at all. Some dogs seem to understand death very well and will become depressed when a companion dog dies, while others don't even seem to notice. Even if your sheepdog doesn't understand why her buddy is no longer around, his absence is a major upheaval of her regular routine and will take some time to get used to. You should try to keep her schedule as normal as possible and maybe spend some extra time with her. Maybe take her for an extra walk or work with her on a new trick or command. Interacting with her will not only be good for her, but it will also help you start the healing process.Some people find getting another dog helpful. It helps to keep them occupied so that they don't fall into a funk or a vicious cycle of depression. It may help them to remember their deceased dog by giving another dog a loving home (especially if their old dog was a rescue too). Some people need the time to grieve and getting another dog right away is not only not helpful, but can actually lead to resentment towards the new dog. Only you will know when or if it will be the right time to bring home another dog.

• I had to put my 13 year old boxer to sleep because her cancer was advancing and i cried for 2 whole days. But people have to realize pets don't live as long as we do and their time on earth should be spent with love, care, and fun. There is always another dog waiting at a shelter for you to adopt. But don't rush in anytime though. I lost mine 3 months ago and i am not ready to adopt until you the animal is the one.

• My condolences to you. I feel your pain & I know how bad your heart aches. I've been in your shoes already & will be walking in them again real soon. Right now as I sit here a friend of mine is out in the backyard digging a grave for one of my babies. She has been going down hill for about a month now & I know I will be making that last trip to the vet with her too soon. It is very hard to tell you how to deal with the loss of your good friend, but always know you gave your friend all the love in your heart & he enjoyed his life with you. You will grieve & you will feel this pain for some time,but it will ease up. You will always feel that emptiness & a void in your heart that no dog can ever replace!!! But the memories of your friend will always be precious to you. I am sure your boy is here with my boys.... Check out this poem http://rainbowsbridge.com/Poem.htm This poem will cause you to shed more tears but you'll see where your friend is now!!

• This is one of the very first serious questions to have no sarcastic and rude responses.I can't believe anyone would be giving a thumbs down to any of these answers.All these answers were from good hearted people.I must say, however, your other best friend could use a another pal to help her cope with her confusion.I'm sure she is sensing your confusion also.And there are so many lonely little souls needing a good home.