Is it safe to give my dog childrens cough syrup?

My dog appears to have kennel cough[he gets it almost every winter] and read that it is safe to give him over the counter childrens cough medicine. Is that true and do you think it would actually help???

Is it safe to give my dog childrens cough syrup?

My dog appears to have kennel cough[he gets it almost every winter] and read that it is safe to give him over the counter childrens cough medicine. Is that true and do you think it would actually help???...
    General Dog Discussions : Is it safe to give my dog childrens cough syrup?...

• No not at all most of that stuff is not tested on animals and it treats different symptoms in a child you need to see a vet and see why he is getting this all the time it might have to do with he might have a underlining problem like and infection so please don't do it and see your vet for the best treatment and advice hope that helps

• Speak to your veterinarian. If he did prescribe this treatment method please follow his directions. I doubt any vet would because most children's cough meds contain a sugar substitute that is highly toxic to dogs and cats. One of these fake sugars starts with the letter Z. The last time I was at the vet with my animal, the vet told me she just treated a dog that ingested a sugar free product and he wasn't doing well.....Always consult your avian vet if you suspect a serious illness as kennel cough.

• I think your vet could give you something more effective and safer for your dog. I wouldn't give any human medication without at least talking to the vet. If this is a recurring problem, you should consider getting the bordatella vaccine to prevent kennel cough.

• Yes,but make sure that the cough syrup contains ONLY guaifenesin and dextromethorphan and NOTHING ELSE! If it contaisn acetominophen or a decongestant or antihistamin,don't use it.And be aware that the dog could have something more serious,like bronchitis,pneumonia or heartworm,if it is not on a monthly preventative."Dextromethorphan/Guaifenesin (Robitussin DM ®) – This product can be used to treat coughing in dogs, cats and ferrets, at a dosage of 0.5 ml/lb every 8 hours. Make sure that it is the ‘DM’ product only, and remember that coughing can be a symptom of some very serious diseases. It can also cause some mild sedation. "Edit: MY vet has recommended it for coughing in dogs.I had two dogs with collapsed tracheas and two with congestive heart failure and she told me to use it.It does not work that well,though,and the dogs hate the taste,so I ended up getting a narcotic from my vet for them to take.But it IS safe when used at the prescribed dosage.

• Don't ever give your dog any human medication unless specified by your vet. If your dog has kennel cough he should be seen by your vet so you can get the proper medication for him to cure it.

• Absolutely not. Your vet will prescribe a specific medication for him. You don't know dosing requirements for his size and weight. You don't even know for sure if he has Kennel Cough. Bring him to your vet. Saving money by not bringing him to the vet and giving him OTC children's medication could result in HUGE vet bills if you overdose your pet. Be responsible.

• Infectious Tracheobronchitis (kennel cough) is a highly contagious upper respiratory disease usually transmitted in places like animal shelters and occasionally boarding at the vets. How is it that he gets it every winter?Have you seen your vet about this issue?Yes, you can give your dog certain over the counter cough medicines, You MUST contact your vet to find out which one to use and what dosage to give. You can HARM your dog if you do not do this.I do believe that this would help him if, indeed, the cough was from an upper respiratory infection, however, you also need to confirm that this is truly the case. (Unlikely that it is kennel cough each winter.) There are many disease processes that have a cough associated with them. Check with your vet to make sure. Best of luck.Lots of guessing going on here. Pretty sure I went to school for this and received a degree and passed National Boards to become certified as a vet tech. There is a prescription cough medicine for dogs. There are also some vets that will advise their clients to use certain over the counter medicines of all types at various times. Seen it done folks.Getting a bordetella vacc. will NOT treat an existing kennel cough infection. It is a preventative only and is not given as a normal vaccination yearly. It is given every 6 months if the dog boards on a regular basis.

• YES! You may,and actually it does not even have to be children's.It CANNOT contain any acetaminophen,bcause that can hurt the dog.Someone just wrote me the other night and asked me this.I looked it up to make sure of the dose for her.Robitussin and Triaminic were 2 brands specifically named in my doggy book.For large dogs they may take the adult dose,and a really small dog gets 1/4 of the adult dose.Kennel cough is not a fatal ailment,although sometimes a dioc is necessary if it continues on too long.The average time span of kennel cough before it clears up is 2 weeks.