What is the best way for me to save Squirt the mini schnauzer's life when I don't even live near him?

I won't ever adopt Squirt or even meet him (I'm in a completely different part of the country), but I saw this post on a mini schnauzer rescue/adoption site and can't stop thinking about it for the life of me: "Squirt is an adorable black male puppy who…

What is the best way for me to save Squirt the mini schnauzer's life when I don't even live near him?

I won't ever adopt Squirt or even meet him (I'm in a completely different part of the country), but I saw this post on a mini schnauzer rescue/adoption site and can't stop thinking about it for the life of me: "Squirt is an adorable black male puppy who…...
    General Dog Discussions : What is the best way for me to save Squirt the mini schnauzer's life when I don't even live near him?...

• What is the best way for me to save Squirt the mini schnauzer's life when I don't even live near him?

What is the best way for me to save Squirt the mini schnauzer's life when I don't even live near him? General Dog Discussions
      I won't ever adopt Squirt or even meet him (I'm in a completely different part of the country), but I saw this post on a mini schnauzer rescue/adoption site and can't stop thinking about it for the life of me: "Squirt is an adorable black male puppy who is just 14 weeks old. He needs surgery to repair a hole in his heart or he will die. The surgery costs around $4,000. Once his heart is repaired, he can live a normal life but his surgery is very expensive. Can you help save this little Squirt? He only weighs 5 pounds! Please, any amount will help with Squirt's lifesaving surgery!"http://www.schnauzerrescue.net/webpages/Save%20Squirt.htmhttp://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=15017982He's in Maryland and I'm all the way in Minnesota, but regardless, I am going to do whatever I can to save this little guy. In case you're wondering why, my family used to have a mini schnauzer named Seepy (he was the best!) who was put to sleep in summer 2008... so part of me wants to do this for him. Another part of me wants to do this because it's the holiday season and I'm certainly more fortunate right now than our furry friend. Lastly... and this may be the most important reason... when I first just randomly happened to read through the post online, my reaction was, "Nearly everyone will count on this substantial amount of money ($4000) being impossible to achieve." I'm out here to prove them wrong and try to make a mini-miracle happen.Here's what I've done so far/plan to do-1. I already sent in a very minor donation after I wasn't able to get the thought out of my head.2. Postings on here to get input, as well as in other forums to hopefully generate some more publicity for Squirt.3. Encouraging people to donate even a little, donating a little more myself, and following up with the organization to try to get a gauge of how close they are.4. If it has to come to this, I may even consider loaning the Schnauzer Rescue of the Mid-Atlantic a somewhat more substantial portion.So, what I'm wondering is... what else do you guys think I should do to save Squirt? Have any of you ever been in a situation like this or just randomly found a cause you knew you needed to do something about? If you want to join in on this with me, by all means, the more the merrier. I bet the last thing they expect would be donations from people in completely different parts of the country than Squirt.Thanks!By the way, the organization is definitely legitimate. I checked every little detail before considering pursuing this and am fully confident.To those who already responded... wow!!! Thank you so much for your generosity! I think we can do this for Squirt sooner than later.As far as not adopting Squirt, I won't get a dog for at least a few years, as I'm going back to do my MBA, will travel regularly, and my apartment doesn't allow dogs. However, once I settle down in my career, I will absolutely adopt a mini schnauzer. :)So I launched an ad campaign on Myspace that will link to his site. Hopefully more people will donate. Does anyone have ideas on what else I should do to save Squirt??

What is the best way for me to save Squirt the mini schnauzer's life when I don't even live near him? General Dog Discussions
    • omygoodnessso i looked at the dog and he was sooo cute i feel that no animal should die if their is a way to save them no matter what the cost.my boyfriend has a huge soft spot for schnauzers so we made a donation, i hope he gets the care he needs and gets better, thank you for posting this question other wise i would have never found squirt and done my part to help.:)if you want to help him i guess you could try and get people you know to donate to the cause, thats all you can do. donate money because that is what they need right now to help him.

• I can vouch for the fact this is a legitimate rescue as I have had dealings with them before. I have always had one or two or three Miniature Schnauzers in my life at any given time. Squirt is adorable. OMG!!! I am going to STAR your question and I will be making a donation (Squirt is on my side of the US but a little further North than I am) as well. You are doing the right thing. And who says you cannot adopt Squirt? Since you are really pushing this thing and getting interest in it, I don't see one reason why you could not adopt him if you want to. Sounds like you are already in love with the little guy.Thank you for calling our attention to this.I suppose some of us could make up a few fliers and ask vets if they would let us put them up in their offices. Who knows, maybe a really good vet would do a really good deed? I plan to ask my vet. And I think we should do this in memory of dogs we have lost. I lost a Miniature Schnauzer after 12 years to Cushing's Disease and Diabetes back in September. She fought it and did well for 4 years. Even knowing she is not hurting and not in pain now, it still hurts like heck and I miss her terribly. I cry for me and for my own selfish need to see her and hold her again. I know she is at the Rainbow Bridge. But I think Little Squirt deserves a chance. He is obviously a fighter, and we need to help him fight.Again...thank you. I put the sites you listed in my sources ... let's all make them easy to get to.