can my cat catch cay flu from a cat that had it in the past?

A stray has turned up at our house and the vet says he's had cat flue in the past (doesnt have it now). Could our cat cat it from him ? I ask as I read on some posts that this is possible, even though it seems unlikely to me.

A stray has turned up at our house and the vet says he's had cat flue in the past (doesnt have it now). Could our cat cat it from him ? I ask as I read on some posts that this is possible, even though it seems unlikely to me....
    General Dog Discussions : can my cat catch cay flu from a cat that had it in the past?...

• can my cat catch cay flu from a cat that had it in the past?

can my cat catch cay flu from a cat that had it in the past? General Dog Discussions
      A stray has turned up at our house and the vet says he's had cat flue in the past (doesnt have it now). Could our cat cat it from him ? I ask as I read on some posts that this is possible, even though it seems unlikely to me.

can my cat catch cay flu from a cat that had it in the past? General Dog Discussions
    • make sure that the stray is vaccinated straight away and that your cat is up to date on his vaccines and you should be fine. Look out for nasal discharges and sneezing.

• Yes, he can pass it to your cat, but it isn't likely unless the new cat has a relapse. The most common virus that causes "cat flu" is the feline herpes virus (no, you can't catch it and neither can any dogs you may have), and it stays in the cat's body for life like chickenpox does in ours. It may or may not flare up later, after the first attack has gone away. One caution: you MUST have the stray tested for feline leukemia virus. It can be contracted more easily by cats with "cat flu" due to their depressed immune systems. Vaccines should be up to date on your cat, and given to the new cat as soon as you know he's FLV negative. There is a vaccine for upper respiratory infections; however, it often does not prevent catching them, but it does make the infection milder and easier for the cat to fight off.The new cat should be kept in a "safe room" away from your cat for about two weeks (this actually should always be done no matter what). This will allow you to see if he's going to have a flareup of his old virus from the stress of having a new home. Watch for watery eyes, sneezing and green or yellow discharge from his eyes or nose. If you see this, call the vet and have him treated until the relapse is over, and don't let him in the same room with your cat until the symptoms are gone.Both cats should be put on L-lysine supplements right away, even if no symptoms show - these are best as powder mixed into their food. It helps the cat's immune system fight off the virus, and won't hurt the cat even if there is no flareup. Antibiotics should only be used if you see the green or yellow discharge - this indicates a secondary infection and is very common with this virus. Your vet will guide you through the antibiotic treatment if it is needed.If your cat does show symptoms (this is an airborne virus and there's a chance your cat can still catch it through the closed door), don't panic - adult cats, unless they are old or have a compromised immune system from another condition, usually have no trouble fighting off the virus in a week or two with proper treatment. If you see any of the aforementioned symptoms in your cat, take it to the vet right away. Early treatment generally is very effective and not expensive.