What do I do if my dog eats chocolate?

I did call the vet. He ate just a little. They said keep an eye on him.I am not sure if my dog just got done eating chocolate. I had chocolate on the table and he was chewing something on the floor. What should I do?He is a 6 month old shih tzu

I did call the vet. He ate just a little. They said keep an eye on him.I am not sure if my dog just got done eating chocolate. I had chocolate on the table and he was chewing something on the floor. What should I do?He is a 6 month old shih tzu...
    General Dog Discussions : What do I do if my dog eats chocolate?...

• What do I do if my dog eats chocolate?

What do I do if my dog eats chocolate? General Dog Discussions
      I did call the vet. He ate just a little. They said keep an eye on him.I am not sure if my dog just got done eating chocolate. I had chocolate on the table and he was chewing something on the floor. What should I do?He is a 6 month old shih tzu

What do I do if my dog eats chocolate? General Dog Discussions
    • Depends on the chocolate/amount. Theobromine is what hurts dogs (basically like cocaine... can cause cardiac arrest). But cookies, cake, etc... tend to not have enough. Dark/baker's chocolte, on the other hand, or a large amount of any other could be a problem.ANYWAY... pour hydrogen peroxide down his throat, preferably within half an hour. Use a small amount, give it a minute - if he still hasn't puked, give him more. And yes, the goal is the make him him puke (ie: throw up the chocolate before he can digest it/it gets into his blood stream).If it's been longer than half an hour, the above is still a good idea to get any remaining in his stomach out before he digests more, but also take him to the vet (ideally while doing this so as not to waste time).

• NO! You should never let your dog eat chocolate! It's very dangerous! IT CAN KILL YOUR DOG!! Consult your vet right away! This is a serious matter!! Did your dog eat too much? Because if your dog digests it, he has a very high chance of dieing! Don't ever leave chocolate near dogs!! EVER!!

• Chocolate can be very harmful for dogs - especially small ones, like shih tzus. I have a shih tzu and she ate a chocolate chip once, and nothing happened. She found a kit kat lying on the floor... bad news. Go to the vet and have them give her some laxatives to flush it out of his/her system. FAST