What are you feeding your dog during the recall?

I took my dog to the Vet (she is fine) She normally eats Pedigree small breed (which says it is not in the recall) but I have been really worried, she is a 10 year old Miniature Dachshund and a big part of my family and life.... My Vet suggested I use…

I took my dog to the Vet (she is fine) She normally eats Pedigree small breed (which says it is not in the recall) but I have been really worried, she is a 10 year old Miniature Dachshund and a big part of my family and life.... My Vet suggested I use…...
    General Dog Discussions : What are you feeding your dog during the recall?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What are you feeding your dog during the recall?

What are you feeding your dog during the recall? General Dog Discussions
      I took my dog to the Vet (she is fine) She normally eats Pedigree small breed (which says it is not in the recall) but I have been really worried, she is a 10 year old Miniature Dachshund and a big part of my family and life.... My Vet suggested I use Cesar for a while because they make their own food and do not use outside sources.... Anyone know any other companies that make the dogfood completely in house (no outside ingreidients)... Right now I am cooking things like chicken. rice and vegetables but she is already a little overweight and I do not want to make it worse...Thank YouAt my Vet's earlier suggestion I was going to purchase the Iams small breed but at this visit he told me to hold off until this story unfolds all the way which made me really worry that it may get yet bigger (this was on Monday)... I do want to switch to a high quality great diet for her, since I went health nut I want her to eat this way also and then the recall happened... Some of these foods sound great, if I can find some of them I want to give them a try.... Thank you so much...Especially to the Vet's asst. I am happy that the foods that I am currently feeding her (chicken, rice, and veggies) are actual not so bad..... Thanks

What are you feeding your dog during the recall? General Dog Discussions
    • Royal Canin.I feed it to my dogs, they never got sick, and they are not involved with the recall.please visit royalcanin.comand take a look at their foods, they even have a store locator on the website to help find where to buy!Good luck with your dogs!

• As long as it hasn't been recalled, it should be fine. I have 3 dogs and they are still eating the same food I have been buying for years. Just make sure that the first ingredients on the label begins with some kind of meat, like chicken or beef. Good luck

• I would say just continue cooking. Most of us are already, if not thinking about, doing this.Just don't over feed. You can do hamburger and rice too. Lots of veggies. Try some raw ones. Little baby carrots are a real treat for some dogs!!

• The only foods that have been recalled ( to my knowledge) were produced at MENU FOODS and it was the wet foods that were the problem. All of Iams dry food is produced at a different plant.Look at the package and see if it was made at MENU FOODS and then go from there.Good Luck

• I am also very worried about this whole mess, I have always fed my dobie Iams lamb and rice, dry food, but it is hard to feel safe when they keep adding new items to the recall, fortunately he loves table food, even salad, so if it gets too bad, I'll just set an extra plate at the table, ha, ha!

• I am using Pedigree for my lab and my miniature dachsund, but I am still worried. I keep an eye out for any changes in behaviour. Cooking for your dog is an excellent choice! I wish I had time to do so, as it is actually ideal even when there is no recall. As long as you are feeding your dog the right food you will actually help her lose wieght rather than add to the problem It's much easier to make sure she is eating healthy when you are making your own food. One thing I recommend adding is bonemeal, unless you feed raw bones. You can find this at your local health food store. In the "sources" I provided a few links about homemade dog diets.

• Here is a list of natural/organic dog food brands:Eagle HolisticEvolveMerrickNewman's OwnNutroSolid GoldWellnessThese companies make both dry and wet dog foods and are available at a good price at JB Wholesale

• I feed my dogs OL ROY dry dog food the lamb and rice formula from Wal-Mart. The only food that is involved in the recall is the wet food in the cans and foil pouches. Thats bad for their teeth anyway.